peavey blackwidow 2 x 15 cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paz, Jun 15, 2005.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    hi there, well ive had this cab for years now and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it.
    all i know is it was either made in the 70's or early 80's and is 4 ohms and very loud. i would really like to know what the wattage is.
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    All I know is they are one of the best cabs you can buy for the money used. Hang onto yours, they may increase in value one day.
  3. Log onto the Peavey website and ask them. They are usually very customer oriented.
  4. There were 2 types made as far as i believe, one was a deep one which was apparently amazing beyond belief, and a shallower one which was really good, but not as good sound wise as the deep
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the deep one was the best!! I miss mine (but not moving it)/ the shallow one (about 13") was ok but kinda sucky comparitavely

anyhow, IIRC, black widow speakers are rated for 250 watts each so that would be a 500 watt cabinet. the cool thing is if you blow them the basket screws off and you can replace it with another one (no reconing needed)
  6. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I had one back in the late 80's - early 90's.

I SERIOUSLY cannot imagine pushing 500 watts into this cab. I used a MusicMan HD150 on 4 ohms and it was ungodly loud. I could not run the entire 150 watts into it. The master was set on 10 and the channel was set on about 2 1/2 or 3. This was a passive Fender Precision.

I would hate to be around when someone decided to actually push 500 watts into that cab. :eek:

I miss mine, too. I gave away the empty cabinet to a high school student who was beginning to play bass and needed to upgrade.
  7. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    so am i thinking this is quite a good cab then? i may keep hold of it then or buy another one somewhere
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    You certainly have a great cab. Man that brings back a flood of memories...that was the first "big rig" I ever played through. Those things are super sweet. They sound really good when mated with one of the old Peavey bass heads.
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Damnit now i'm really GASing for one of those again!!!!!!!! :crying:
  10. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    wow i didnt know lots of people loved these, yey i got a good piece of gear :hyper:
  11. those speakers are damn near indistructable. I know peavey makes pa cabs with the 15 in black widow and they will run over a thousand watts continous to them. And the old peavey bass head are the stuff their cheap indistructable and sound very good for the price.

fender MIM 4 string with homemade dimond plate pickguard and control plate
    soon to have ibanze srx 505 or 705 not sure on the neck thru or bolt on

boss tu-t tuner
    DOD bass overdrive/dist
    boss cb-3 bass chorus
    Dunlop bass wah

Peavey mark III 400 B
    peavey 1810 <loudest and cheapest cab you can buy to have your band feel you not just hear you :)
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had one with two Altecs in it!! I wish I never gave it up!! It sounded great with my Classic 400 and my SVT!!. I'm gonna email the dude and see if I can get it back... lol