Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cab Options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Loader, May 6, 2003.

1. I've been playing bass for about 3 years now, plus 4 years previous playing classical, just using a small KLA20 Kustom practice amp. I've been playing at Musicity studios in London on a Crate 350watt recently, and since our band will be doing some larger gigs soon, I thought I needed something much larger.
    I looked first at the TNT115 for £430, which I had my heart set on getting, until I noticed the Combo 115. It was only £70 (100 bucks) more than the TNT and was practically twice the power with a cab.
    Most review sites, and some posts here have indicated that without a cab, I probably shouldn't be gigging with it. Problem is, I can't decide on which cab I should save up for, the 210TVX, or the 115s? Whatever I get needs to be 4ohm, and have a min power handling of 300watt. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Just as I was ready to stick my foot in my mouth and proclaim that the 210TVX was an 8 ohm cab...so go with the 115 in a 4 ohm...I thought to check the specs...OOPS!!
    The 210TVX is 4 ohms! I think that it would match perfectly with the Combo 115 and I would definitely prefer the 210/115 combination as opposed to a second 115.

Kim

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd also go the 15 with a 2x10. But are you sure you want it to be 4 ohms? By my calcs that would take the overall nominal impedance into places where most amps can't go.

4. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    According to Peavey website, Peavey Combo will deliver 300W at 2 ohms. How about that? I haven't seen many combos that go that low eith impedance.

5. It is using the same 300w into 2 ohm amp Peavey has been perfecting for the last 20 years or so. I've got a Mark IV head and a Combo 210TX and they both have the same amp and will work fine at 2 ohms. 1x15 with a 2x10 is a really good combination as I've done the thing by adding a 1x15 cab to my 210TX.

6. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I used a Combo 115 for several years, and added a 210TXF cab the last year I had it (same specs as the 210 TVX, but with carpet covering instead of vinyl).

Good combination. I was amazed at not only the punch the 2X10 added, but also the depth and harmonics. I think one-speaker combos tend to sound a little one dimensional without an extension cab, personally.

7. Thanks for the help guys, but one question:
    The 210 Cab is rated at 175watt max, so at full power would it be working at 150watt or 300watt? I presume that the power is split down the middle between the Combo speaker and the cab speakers, or do things work differently to that?

8. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    It would split the 300 watt load between the 2X10 cab and the internal 15-inch speaker in the combo -- so each would be getting 150 watts.

9. I'd look into getting a 4-ohm 4x10TVX instead of the 2x10/1/15 thing.....from my experience, it sounds much better than the two cab thing, except of course if you got 2 4x10s.....

10. That depends on whether I have the money... and the muscles :)

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Cool. Just checking.