Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey cabs: 412TVX vs. 810TVX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Feb 8, 2005.

1. So I'm selling my 115BXBW pretty soon and getting a nice big cab for my death metal band, who use vans for everything. Just can't decide between these two.

The 4x12" is slightly lighter and cheaper, and has a good reputation, but the 810 is an 8x10", and I own the 4x10" which I adore so I've got a feeling it would be something special. The 4x12" will be a little more portable. No stores near me ever have these cabs in.

Both will be getting 1400W from my RMX1450, and the tweeter will be off all the time. Which would be better for death metal, using massive full range distortion? I'm looking for punch and clarity, but enough beef to injure. Treble can't be nasal or annoying because of the distortion. Mids must be present but not honky. I'd appreciate any comments anyone has who has used these cabs.

And before you reccommend other cabs:
    Ampeg 8x10" - Too muddy
    Ampeg 6x10" - Too vintage
    SWR Goliath Snr. - Too sterile
    SWR Megoliath - Not enough booty
    Mesa Powerhouse 8x10" - Too expensive

:D

Thanks in advance,

PF

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i used a 412tvx for a couple of years and you might like it. it has a massive bottom end and can handle a lot of power. i never ran distortion through it but it should sound ok with the tweet off. i never really got the cab to cut through like i liked so eventually i retired it. you have a whole different type of tone than me so it might work for you. i would go with the 412 before the 810 because of the low end. one thing you might consider is loading up on 15's. some old ev loaded 15's with no tweeters so you get the full range of the 15(not just a hole where the tweet used to be when you turn it off) they would probably be the ideal cabs to cut through some super heavy guitar and would probably give you a good distorted sound also. look for some old mesa cabs. two would work well and four would be crazy.

3. Well I am after cut but not a vicious one, the guitarists don't have too much bottom end due to the music, so I'd like to punch through the mix above the triggered kicks and have some nice articulation for the harmonies we do.

Is the 412 punchy enough?

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I'd go with the 8x10... I did and wasn't disappointed. Got rid of it after the band I was in fell apart, and have always regretted it. Easy to transport on flat ground because of the built in wheels and well placed handles. Only troubles I ever had were with stairs and loading into the back of a Pug 306 (had to do it on my own once... not easy). :scowl:

I was only pushing it with about 200 watts from a Laney DB300 head, but the sound was incredible considering the quality of the amp. I'd love to hear what it'd sound like with your QSC... :bassist:

5. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I found the 412 to be harsh and unmusical in the midrange. The 810 impressed me, it gave me the impression that it would cut through very well, and I didn't want for any more low end.

What preamp are you going to be using?

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Hmmmm...lemme take a stab at this.

I've used the Peavey 8x10...it's good, but there are better 8x10's out there. The good ole' Ampeg fridge is the king of midrange cut in my book...but it has a harder time doing the low stuff. Haven't seen the Peavey 4x12's but for low end, and especially low end distortion I would opt for this one.

I have used the SWR 4x12 and it's an amazing cab.

I have always been a fan of 15's when it comes to low end distorted bass. To me, theres just nothing like the depth a 15 can put out when it's dirtied up. I gig a good bit so I wanted one cab and I found it in the Mesa Powerhouse 1000.

If you're looking for lots of low end distortion...go with either the 4x10 and 1x15, or the 4x12...maybe even a couple of 4x12's...yeah that's awesome!!! Kill the tweeters (they're useless in good ole' hard rock/metal) and roll! Unless you want a lot of mid's leave the 8x10's to the other genre's of music. The 8x10's do what they do very well...but for the type of music you're playing there's better.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I had a Peavey 412TVX.

That cab was heavy, but even with outdoor gigs I hardly had to go through the PA. It gets damn loud.

Tonally, there isn't anything about it that you can't dial in/out with a decent head or preamp.

I loved it when I played in a loud rock band.

8. I run a Tech 21 PSA-1 as a preamp, don't use the onboard distortion though(bit too fuzzy for me) just keep it clean and use my PD7 for the dirt. Also run an MXR Bass D.I. in the chain as an EQ/mid boost with slight grit for attack after my FX. I go for bass heavy amp rigs because my setup is very bright(Maple Spector, EMG's, treble boosted preamp, pick).

I've got a 4x10" and a 15" at the moment, using the 15" for my death band and the 4x10" for a thrashier band with one guitar. The 15" is too scooped and too long throw, it faces my drummer in practice and slays him when I get a tone I like. For lows or in conjunction with the 4x10" though it's great. But standalone it's a bit too inflexible.

At the moment it's 3:2 in favour of the 4x12. These are a bit of an unknown quantity round these parts, but I've never been afraid to try new things. I've never seen one in real life but I assume they're huge, not as imposing as an 8x10" though.

In my other research I've heard good and bad things about the 8x10, and the 4x12 has sweepingly good reviews, until the midrange comment I just heard. Harshness is the thing I'm trying to avoid, with the tone of my setup any harshness will be amplified tenfold.

I'm guessing they're slightly more portable than the 8x10, purely due to dimensions.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    A 412TVX is 19.13" Deep (front to back) x 28.25" W x 34.00" Tall - 129.30 lbs

It is pretty big...substantially larger than a 410 cab.

And it really kicks out the volume. It is a little strong in the mids, but it can be dialed out if you have a decent head or pre-amp.

I never had any problems getting it to sound the way I wanted.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

I always thought the Peavey SLAYED the Ampeg in my book. Never muddy, with more lows.

11. What about the new Gallien Krueger 8x10, its meant to be very good.

12. Just looked into the GK 810SBX and it's £800, more expensive than either of the Peaveys(duh), out of my price league. If I trade my cab in I'm looking at £650 on the GK but £530 on the 810TVX and even less on the 412. Maybe as an upgrade in the future.

Seems like opinion is pretty even on these two. I like the look of the 810 but I like the price and individuality of the 412 so I'm still completely 50/50.

13. save up, and get one of each :p , how much of a kick ass rig would that be

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I would disagree with that. Having the tweeter on my 8x10 cranked is an essential part of my tone. The grinding, clicking, bite that comes into play on my band's heavier songs (where I'm always using a pick) that spews out of my tweeter is absolutely critical.

Personal tastes vary though :)

15. what about the gallien-krueger 4x12 neo cab

16. The Neo 412 is the same money as the 810SBX.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If you end up with the 412, lemme know how ya like it, as I'm looking into a pair of 'em to match with my T-Max.

Ray

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Some people like the "Fieldy Click" :D

19. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

That's GOTTA BE electronic............!!!!!!!

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    They actually put a mic in his head, and everytime he moves, there's a clicking sound from the marbles rollin' around...

Ray