Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey, Carven, Fender?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Hi, I think I'm going to be buying a new bass soon and I've narrowed it down to a Peavey Cirrus (Probably Rosewood), Carven LB76WP, and a Fender Stu Hamm Urge 2. I haven't decided on the Carven and Peavey If I would get 4 or 6 strings, so don't count that against either of them. Also I'm not sure how much the Stu Hamm bass costs now that its out of production.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Who told you the Urge II is out of production? Its still listed on Fenders website and in the 2001 Frontline catalog. I'd expect to pay $1000 to $1200 for a new one. Good luck, IMHO those are all fine choices.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Carven!? I thought the name changed to CarVAN!! ^_^.. Well anyways, its Carv<B>i</B>n

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Cirrus or the Carvin LB would be my picks. Both are two manufacturers whose businesses are built on giving most bang for the buck.

IMO, Fenders are way overpriced for a production line instrument. Well, they're all overpriced, but Fender more so than others.

5. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    The Cirrius resale value is best.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Having spent time playing all three of your choices, I only have 5 words to say:

PEAVEY PEAVEY PEAVEY PEAVEY, PEAVEY!!!!

There is no comparison, the Cirrus is hands down the better instrument. The Urge is overpriced (as was already pointed out), and the Carvin has what I consider to be 2 strikes against it: The string spacing on the 6 is way too narrow, and the electronics are at best weak. Oh, and the B on the Peavey Cirrus is much tighter and punchier than the Carvin's is. Guess that's three strikes....

....YOU'RE OUTTA THERE!!!!

(Is it baseball season yet?)

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey all the way. You won't be disappointed.

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Although I'm generally a Fender guy I would go with the Cirrus if given those three choices. I almost bought a Cirrus 5 string and only ruled it out when I auditioned (and bought) a Roscoe Beck. The Cirrus is a fine bass and good value as well.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, I'll recommend the Cirrus too.

When I was looking for a top notch fretless 5, the Cirrus made the short list, along with Lakland, Pedulla & Zon. The Peavey was $700 less than any of the others($1100 less than the Pedulla was new, the Zon and Lakland were used) and was very close to all of them in fit & finish.

I wound up going with the Zon because while it was more than the Peavey, it had the graphite neck and piezo pickup, and the neck was more comfortable for my small hands.

But if I hadn't found the deal on the ZOn at the last minute, I am pretty sure that I would have bought the Cirrus.

10. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I haven't owned a Peavey so I can't really comment. Regarding Fender, I think they can sound great, but they are ridiculously overpriced for that slab-o-wood with a bolted neck and string trees -- and spotty quality. The Carvin offers the most choices and is a fantastic instrument for the money. But it might not be for you.

The Carvins can be had with a narrower neck, or the Bunny Brunel wider neck (1/4" wider at the 24th fret). The BB neck is also tapered such that there is less wood under the treble side of the neck. The fretboard is ebony (!), not rosewood. The tuners are Sperzels (they're wonderful). Pup choices include 'J'-style singlecoils, 'J'-style stacked humbuckers, 'P'-style humbuckers, and the newly introduced piezo's (one under each string on the bridge). I have the piezo's on my LB75WP and WOW! The tonal range I can blend among my 'J', 'P', and piezo's is nothing short of amazing. Construction is 'neck-thru-body', 'string-thru-body', and the quality is top-notch. My B string is tight and true -- no flabbiness. The active electronics are 18v-driven and offer tremendous range +/-. They are virtually silent. If I had a complaint I would say the guitar is heavy, really heavy. It's truly a ton of guitar for the money! Also, Carvin offers a variety of exotic woods, paint colors, neck woods, laminates, hardware etc etc. You can really have 'em build a 'custom' guitar for you.

11. I've never played the peavey cirrus, but the Stu Hamm Urge 2 is a fairly good bass. like many fenders it is overpriced, but its a good bass.

12. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for the advice. I do really like the Cirrus, the only thing I dislike is that it doesnt have piezos. I think I will pick it anyway though. How important are the piezos.
    Also what wood type do you guys like best on the Cirrus? I haven't tried them all.

13. dwynsen

dwynsen Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    In the end, the only thing that really matters is that YOU like it! If there was a one-size-fits-all bass, we'd all own it! Best of luck!

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Try em all out, if you can. I personally found the maple/alder combo to be the best for my taste. But, you might have totally different tastes than I do. So, if they are available, try a few different ones out and see which one YOU prefer.

And that is part of the fun----trying before buying. Good luck.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For beauty and light weight, I like the redwood/alder or the quilt maple/alder.

I love the tone of the wenge/walnut, but it's a little heavier.

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I don't know how you guys can say Fender's are overpriced. They offer some GREAT basses at great prices, especially entry level. You WILL NOT find a better bargain than the Mexican made P and J bases. That being said, i'd go with the Cirrus from the bases you listed. All are very good though.