1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Century 200H thoughts, advice, good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by russpurdy, Oct 14, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    I'm going to check out a peavey century 200h head and "matching" 1x15 cab (cab is from same era and would have been one of peaveys intended cabs for the head I believe). The guy wants $100 for the head and cab and I think that's a good deal if everything works. I'm wondering how much actual volume these heads put out. I know they are rated at 100 watts but will it keep up with a drummer? I was thinking about running it alongside my main rig just for distortion and having a massive setup for the fun of it. I figure 100 bucks is too cheap to pass up. Thoughts?

2. More than I'd give for it, personally. That's one of the oldest bass heads Peavey made. But if it looks good and sounds good, with a cab... for $100, sure try it out.

See if the cab is 8 ohms or 4....IIRC the head was rated 200 watts into 2 ohms, 140 into 4 ohms and around 100 or less into 8 ohms. The cab is likely not a Black Widow, if it was that would make the cab more desirable.

3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    :bassist:I think it's a GREAT deal, if it looks halfway decent. Can you look at the back of the cab and see if it's 4 or 8 ohms? And nashvillebill is right, the power ratings changed according to ohms.

Good luck!

4. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    I'd go for it.

5. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Thanks guys. Ill have a look at the rig and make my decision from there. Apparently the cab has a replacement speaker rated at 300w but the guy don't say what model it is. Ill see if I can open it up and have a look but at $100 for the whole rig I might take a gamble. I was thinking I might be able to use it as a super lo-fi PA system with a pair of monitors for one vocalist in my old school riff/doom band. We are too broke to afford a proper pa

6. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Just thought I'd follow up, took the plunge and bought the rig. The head does the distorted thing very well and will sound great for my sludgy classic metal stuff. I love the mid control as well (allows you to cut or boost whatever frequency you select). Pretty common setup but the knob sounds like a wah pedal when you spin it. Ill be using the head for double duty as a PA power amp for quiet practices. The cab doesn't match and is super old but has a newer 15 inch Peavey Scorpion Plus in it. I figure for 100 bucks its a pretty solid little half stack!

7. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Congrats on your purchase! It will last you many years if you don't abuse it!:bassist:

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Those Peavey heads will last for years even if you abuse it.