Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey cirrus 4 nt vs Spector usa 4 nt with humbuckers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass1, Aug 6, 2005.

1. bass1

bass1

Dec 11, 2004
    Which one do you guys think is better?And which one sounds better on the slap?

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    we need more information about the specs in both basses,electronics,woods,custom options.etc,etc

3. I just purchased a Spector, but mainly because I always wanted one. Before I bought it though, I tried the Cirrus out. I will tell you this, the Cirrus and the Spector are two completely different animals, in every aspect. The Cirrus sounds great, has an incredibly low action, and was probably the easiest bass Ive ever played. But, the Cirrus felt a little thin in my hands, not quite the chunk of wood I prefer in my basses. The Spector, had the growl I was looking for and a great neck, very smooth, and had a meatier feel to it. The feel of the bass is what sold me on the Spector. You defiantley need to go to the store and try these two out. They are both great basses, but very different. BTW, I dont slap, Im a pick player, so I cant help you there.

4. bass1

bass1

Dec 11, 2004
  5. i think everybody is missing one very improtant thing here:
    a Peavey Cirrus costs $400 a Spector USA NT costs $6000 :eyebrow:

if the spector is in your price range then why is the peavey the one you are comparing it to? when you can choose from about 20,000 models inbetween the two prices :eyebrow:

now to answer your question - if you have a limited budget you wont be able to afford a $6000 spector so go with Peavey - theyre great for the price. if you can afford the spector then buy it - or you could buy 15 peaveys...

6. I second that. Spector's have pretty chunky necks. I've gone from an Ibanez btb 5 string to a Spector and adjusting to the size of the neck has been a challange (the Ibanez neck is super thin and wide), but the tone is worth it. Deep mean growl is what I was after, and I definately got it.

7. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i had a spector ns4 for a couple months. it was the finest playing and sounding bass ive ever played and also very beautiful. i still hate myself for selling it. i played a couple cirrus basses and never ever concidered buying one. i think you are comparing apples to an orange skittle. :rollno:

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well I don't think he's talking about a Cirrus BXP, a full blown standard Cirrus cannot even be had used for $400 if it's in any sort of working order. I got my *used* 4 string Bubinga Cirrus for $700, and that was a bargain. If you're looking at a new Cirrus you're looking at anywhere from $1200 for one you might find in a shop somewhere, anywhere up to around $4000 for their Custom Shop ones you can deck out any way you want (practically, it's not really a CUSTOM bass as much as it is that you can specify some options...) I think both the Cirrus and Spector are great instruments and you will not be going wrong with either of them. Go out and find as many as you can and play them and fiddle with the controls and see if they feel/sound right to you. One will and one won't (probably) The thing to keep in mind with the Cirrus is it is a generally accepted fact that the Pickups and electronics are a matched pair, so you generally get poor results if you replace the pickups and keep the Pre-amp, or vice versa. What this means is that if the Cirrus doesn't "SOUND" right for you, it's probably not the bass for you even if it feels right, unless you want to do some more involved modifications.