Peavey Cirrus 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Plantman, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Plantman

Feb 5, 2001
    Thinking about buying a Cirrus. Can anyone give any input pro or con? Also whats the best wood combo for a Cirrus? I've only played a redwood/alder.
  2. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I can't really tell you as far as sound goes but I can give you somewhere to go if you haven't already: <----It shows all the wood types and the sounds they should produce.

I played a maple/alder 5 string in a store and it was awesome! So awesome I bought a 4 string bubbinga/walnut off of ebay that was delivered today but i wasn't home. DOH! They play great, look great, and most importantly sound out of this world for the price. By the way I got a monster deal. $760 for one in mint condition with case. (I hope)It must have just slipped through the cracks somehow.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Awesome basses!

I played one of these, a fretless quilt maple/alder 5 string(transparent crimson! Yum!:)) and I almost bought it, until I found a great deal on a Zon Sonus Custom fretless 5.

These basses are easily the equal of any bass under $2000(and some over!) and are a great value for the price.
  4. I just bought a Cirrus 6 string two weeks ago and I really love the thing. The electronics are absolutely dead quiet and the bass sounds really nice and tight. I tried out a few of the 4 string Cirrus basses and they felt really nice too. I'd consider getting one in the future but for now the 6 is amazing. The quality on these basses is superb and as far as I'm concerned they can't be beat by many "better" brands.

Oh yeah, my 6 is a maple/alder body with a maple neck and Pau Ferro fretboard. Very nice! More midrangy than my other 5 string I have with an ebony fretboard, but I think it cuts through the sound of a band a lot better. I didn't get to try out any other 6 strings though so I can't comment on which woods I would have preferred, but I'm really happy with this bass so it doesn't matter to me that much.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Plantman- If you click on "Reviews" above there's a link to a TB review of the Cirrus. It's a 5'er but I doubt it's substantially different from their 4.
  6. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I seriously auditioned a Cirrus 5 string recently and I thought it was an outstanding bass. I wound up with a Roscoe Beck but the Peavey was certainly in the running. I haven't tried the 4 string but I expect I would be equally impressed.Excellent materials and workmanship, nice action and great tone. In fact I thought the active electronics in the Cirrus were the most "passive" sounding pickups I have heard.I'm not a fan of active pickups so that was a plus for me. I don't think you'll regret buying a Cirrus.
  7. It's a great bass.If I had the money I'd buy one.Can't say anything bad about them.
  8. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    I tried the Cirrus and the MIllennium. I liked the brightness of the Bubinga wood.

9. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I recently played a Cirrus 5 string with the maple body at a dealer here in town, and it was beautiful. Then, the dealer pulled out a custom 5 string Cirrus with a quilted maple top and all sorts of other exotic woods in it. The top looked like a nice MTD custom finish. This bass was AMAZING! Even playing it unplugged it sounded like a million dollars. Apparantly he bought it at the winter NAMM show last year. If I can save the couple grand he wants for it, I will have to get it. Just an amazing instrument, and I never thought I would say that about anything Peavey made.
  10. embellisher

silvermanez, a couple of grand is too much. waayyy overpriced.
  11. I think Cirrus basses look really awesome...I saw Primer 55 at Ozzfest and their bassist used a 4 string, the way he had it set it didn't sound all that great though, but I'm sure they kick ass.
  12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You won't be disappointed in it at all. I have owned a 5 string (maple/alder) for a little over a year now, and have no complaints at all with it. I have played a few 4 stringers also, and they are equally impressive. In my opinion, especially when it comes to most-bang-for-the-buck, the Cirrus is tough to beat.
    But of course, everybody has their own preferences, so that is what it boils down to.
  13. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have tried out about 12 Cirrus basses in several different stores and they've always been among the best in the place. I bought a maple 6 that was a really sweet bass but I couldn't get comfortable with the wide neck so I took it back to Gelb Music and traded it for a redwood fretless 5 which feels great and is super resonant. Skyrocketing electricity prices here in California have inspired me to practice at home unplugged and the Cirrus sounds really rich and full acoustically; the thing just vibrates. And it only gets better when you plug it in!
  14. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    A little late on the reply, but I thought I would ask. The dealer here in South Georgia is asking around $1250 for a Maple Cirrus 5 string with a hard case. Is this in line with the rest of the country, or way overpriced?
  15. embellisher

That's a pretty decent price, if you are a good haggler and find the right dealer, you might get it for a little less.

Much better than the 2 grand that was mentioned earlier.
  16. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    The $1250 price is for a standard 5 with the Maple body. The $2000 was for a custom shop Cirrus with a quilted maple top and back, a 5 piece neck, wooden knobs and back plate, and some other exotic wood in the middle of the body that I can not remember. The extra money was for all the different woods and extra stuff.
  17. smpbass

Feb 2, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    How would you rate Peavey on a scale from 1 to 10? I like their amps, but I don't know if I'd trust their basses.
  18. embellisher

If you wouldn't trust their basses, you obviously have never played a Cirrus or a Millenium.

These are top quality, beautiful basses that are similar in fit and finish to some basses costing 2 or even 3 times as much.

And I happen to have a Foundation from the mid 1980s, and it is a great sounding bass. As playable as a Jazz too.

And when I bought it, a time when Fenders weren't so hot, it was comparable to American Fenders, for half the price.
  19. embellisher

Oh, and I would rate the Millenium about an 8. and the Cirrus from 8.5 to 9.

Remember, you have to save everything between 9.1 and 10 for Sadowsky, F Basses, Foderas, Ken Smiths, Zons, US Spectors, esoteric foreign basses like Tune, Clover, etc.

Remember, you can't just hand out 10s. If you give a 10 to a bunch of different bass, then it isn't a ten anymore.:)