Peavey Cirrus 5 BXP active bass electronics problem..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LoveDaBass, Sep 10, 2021.

1. LoveDaBass

LoveDaBass

Sep 10, 2021
    Hi guys,

Recently I had problems with my cirrus. It's an active bass with 2x9V batteries. They were heating up way too much in a short period of time after I plug in the bass into the amp. I took the bass to 3 different people to check the electronics and they said that I need to change electronics of the bass completely (the pickups are working fine, no need to change them). So now I am asking for an advice.. what would you recommend for my bass and where I can order it from (preferred from Europe)? I would appreciate any advice.

2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Are you familiar with any of the common aftermarket EQ preamps available? There are a LOT of choices, and it's not really a matter of some of them are bad and others are good - they're just "different." So it depends a little on what your personal preferences are, which makes it hard to give specific recommendations.

When your bass was working properly, were there any specific things you liked or didn't like about it? Have you played any other basses where you really liked the controls?

How many holes do you have for controls in your bass now? Usually it makes sense to pick an option that can be configured with the same number of control pots/switches so you're not trying to add or remove holes.

What's your budget?

3. LoveDaBass

LoveDaBass

Sep 10, 2021
    I'm not familiar with preamps in general :D .. With the original electronics of the bass I was satisfied overall. There are 5 holes for controls in the base and my budget goes up to €100.

4. @LoveDaBass

Keep in mind those VFL pickups are active so require power to work.

If you can stretch your budget to 110€ then I can happily recommend the Noll TCM 3.

TCM 3 (B 2012)