Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus 5 BXP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadBass, Oct 5, 2005.

1. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have played several of them in stores. Very good bass for the price. The neck is a little bit chunkier than a regular Cirrus, but still pretty fast. They have a very good tone, very close to the USA version.

The only thing to watch out for is fit & finish. Some of them are very good, some of them have subpar fretwork and woodwork.

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I played the four string version today...I have been waiting 14 months just to see one. Very impressive! I have a USA Cirrus 4. The pickups are the same, the electronics are not. It is an 18 volt system and was dead silent in the store. Instead of the Cirrus printed circuit board with PCB mounted pots, the BXP is more elemental...it has indivitual standard potentiometers with a potted-in-epoxy block that serves as the add-on circuitry. Very HOT bass, gain-wise. Neck and action were comparable to my USA version. I signed up for the first 5'er that comes in (as long as it isn't the 'tiger eye' version).

Kim

4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I'd love to get my hands on a Cirrus to try it out, but I don't think there are any shops around Austin that have any. :(

5. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Mines meant to come in today (or tomorrow), ordered it from music123 so we'll see how it goes :)

6. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Cool! I must check them out then, I was just a bit worried they might be crap for what they cost, though they look 1st class, and like they cost much much more!!!

Can anyone post me a few photos of theirs (front, back, under the cover on the back) Id be very grateful :D

What is anyones favourite wood facing, I rather like the tiger eye face???

I also hear that Peavey might be making a 6 string BXP Cirrus, has anyone heard or seen this?

Much appreciated!!!! :bassist:

7. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Or maybe a Ibanez BTB 555mp/556mp? If I can get a decent 6er at this price, I will get that instead of a 5! Any Comments on these?? :confused:
    Cheers!!!!!!! :D

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Don't know about a sixer. You might check over at the Peavey forums. The fit and finish of the four I played yesterday was exceptionally good...better, perhaps, than my USA model (there is a 'divot' in my neck that my left thumb always seems to find at about the third fret...harmless...but you feel it, nonetheless :rolleyes: ). The Grind BXP series, in my experience were highly variable, quality-wise. I think that the Cirrus BXPs will be much more consistent. The tone was right there with the USA Cirrus line.

Kim

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    A lot of players won't touch a Cirrus because it is a Peavey. Their loss. Really. It's a real hoot to let a bassist try it...catch their response...and then look at their expression when you tell them that it's made by Peavey. Demo'ing mine has sold several to area bassists.

Kim

10. Did you play the five-string version? If so, what was the low B like in terms of tension, clarity, focusedness(is that a word), etc? You say the tone was similar to a USA Cirrus. What exactly was that like: warm, punchy, bright, focused--or just all-around versatile? Sorry but I haven't had the opportunity to play a Cirrus. Thanks.

Davis Goertzen

11. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Interesting... 2 other posts asking these questions got minimal replies. The one titled "Peavey People" has a very good comparison if you're interested.