Peavey Cirrus 5 or Music Man SR5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Sep 30, 2003.

1. I have been looking and playing all sorts of basses and these two are my favorites. I am also loosly considering the Lakland 55-02 but I have not had a lot of time to spend with one of them. I am looking for a good strong tone and I play mostly blues and rock to heavey metal stuff. what would you recomend. I know they are all different but they all have qualities that I like and they all seem to play and sound real good for me. what one do you think would have the most long term appeal. I want to get something I will keep.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For me, the one with the most long term appeal is the Cirrus. But we all have our own preferences.

Probably the biggest playability difference between the Cirrus and the 'Ray is the neck profile. The Cirrus is slimmer, the 'Ray is a little chunkier. So is the Lakland.

Another consideration for the long term is string spacing. The 'Ray is the narrowest, the Cirrus is a little wider, and the Lakland is widest of all.

As far as tonal variety, the Stingray is limited, although it has a lot of variety for a one pickup bass. The Cirrus has quite a bit more, and the Lakland has even more than the Cirrus.

But variety doesn't really matter, if you don't like any of the tones.

I prefer the Cirrus tone first, the Stingray tone second, and the Lakland comes in third. Even though it is the most versatile, I don't like the tones available as much as the Cirrus or the 'Ray.

I play oldies, hard rock, metal, and praise & worship music on my Cirrus. It works very well for all of them. And it has the best slap tone of any bass I have ever played, if you are into slapping.:bassist:
  3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    It would be hard to go wrong with any of the three you mentioned.

I have an SR5 and it sounds really good in a live band situation. The only negative is the weight (10 lbs), but I think that adds to the solidness of the sound.

I don't have much experience with the Cirrus or Lakland (no live gig playing). I would think either would be more versatile than the SR5 and would record well.

The Lakland has the nicest neck I've ever played.
  4. thanks for the replies. I really like the tones of the Cirrus and SR5 and think one of those two would work the best for me. I find the lakland neck a bit too wide for me.

on the cirrus what do you think are the best wood combos? I know that the different models have different tones because of the wood. there is a flamed maple one on ebay that looks cool. anyone have or played that one?
  5. I'd say Cirrus too. I broke the E string on my Modulus last night and got the Cirrus out for the first time in a while and was just blown away all over again over what a great instrument it is. Just a lovely piece of work and a joy to play as well. Oh, and she don't sound too shabby either :)
  6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I own a flame maple cirrus. It sounds fantastic. I haven't had too much experiance playing any of the other wood combos, but I heard that the tonal difference between them isn't really that significant.

Oh, by the way, I've been in jazz, metal, and funk bands with this bass and I can always dial in the right tone.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I'll chime in for the StingRay5. I consider the Ray5 to be similar to a P-bass; it may not have much variety but the tones it does have work for tons of stuff. I can get a really round sound or i can get a really aggresive and in your face sound. For example: i used the Ray5 in our school's show choir competition show last year [First Edition it was our Welcome to The Night Show] and i could get a tone to fit everything from the big in your face, intense, opener to the latin funk Neverdance to the really round and palm muted ballad. Ok-here's the disclaimer, i went from a DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 to the Ray5 and i'm 17 yet have been a member here for 3 years so take what i have said as you must. That's all
  8. Both are damn good basses. Personally I prefer the SR5's tone, as I always thought the Cirrus sounded a little too piano-like. Both are fairly versatile instruments, dispite what some people might like you to believe, and both go well with almost any style. I think the main determining factor here HAS to be tone, because if this is gonna be a long term purchase, then you need to have something you know you will like.
  9. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    My 2 cents, I currently have a Cirrus and a Lakland, also have owned a Ray. I think the Cirrus has more versatility, and it always sits in the mix quite well.:meh:
  10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    personally, I liked the Cirrus, realistically, they both are nice.

But I did think the cirrus 5 had narrower spacing than the SR5. Some said the opposite. Any thoughts? Spacing is why I ditched my Cirrus in the first place.
  11. embellisher

The Cirrus has 11/16" spacing, and it is adjustable. The Stingray 5 has 5/8" spacing, IIRC.
  12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    SR5 for me.

But many people will probably say Cirrus 5.

Go and test them.
  13. Having only so much play time with either bass, take my opinion with a grain of salt (or a handfull).

I prefer the Stingray's tone and feel. It's SUCH a good sound that it just rolls over alot of music styles (in other words, you can play one with just about any song).
  14. Canis

Oct 1, 2003
    This link has some useful info on the different types of woods that is used with the Cirrus:

Since this link does not mention the tone of the quilt top tiger eye, I was curious as to how it compared.
  15. I love the sound of a good SR5, they are one of the best made instruments IMHO. Kinda heavy on the shoulder though.

:meh: Treena
  16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

That's better info than what Peavey has on their website right now, but still not a complete picture, IMHO - I certainly have never had the opportunity to play all these wood combos back to back, but I think the important decision lies in selecting either the walnut neck/body combo or the maple/alder neck and body combo (found on maple and redwood tops - note that no mention is made of the alder body wings on that page, nor on Peavey's website - could I be wrong that the body wings are alder???).

A quarter inch or less of top wood that only covers the body wings is going to have a minimal impact on tone, based on what I've been told and my own experience. I'm sure there are some differences in models whose body/neck woods are similar but with different top woods, just not *big* differences...

FWIW, I have a flame maple/alder(?!?)/pau ferro wood combo and I absolutely adore the thing.

Anyway, just my 2¢...
  17. embellisher

The tigereye and flamed maple Cirrus models both have alder body wings.

But they will sound different, due to the fact that the tigereye has a different preamp. It has the preamp that the USA Millennium basses had, featuring sweepable mids.
    PeaveyPlayer likes this.