Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus 5--Q's on some Options/Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wardak, Dec 2, 2002.

1. I've tried a few Cirrus's and am almost ready to take the plunge. I'm looking at the 5-string and wonder where is the cheapest/best value for service place to buy?

There are some used ones out there, and I favor the maple top in terms of standard features/options, but...is there any quality or feature difference between older ones and the newest ones?

Where can I see some detailed pictures of the Redwood finish?

If I go new, I think I'm interested in a blue stain one with a maple fretboard. Can anyone share their experience with ordering a Peavey Cirrus with custom options?

Lastly, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to replace the standard bridge with a Hipshot Style B. Will there be any issues with visible marks or holes in doing so? (Reason: I'm interested in stringing through the body, and in using some GraphTech piezo saddles which need to be the Fender-style barrel type one...not the same as the stock ABM)

I'll post this at the Peavey site as well, but I seem to get the most/best info from the folks here--thanks for that!

Thanks for any info.

2. BottomLine

BottomLine

Nov 17, 2002
    Rochester MI
    Here is a pic of my brand spankin' new Cirrus in Redwood. It is a beautiful bass and great to play.

I find that dealers who sell these are pretty much all willing to deal, and having owned a Cirrus 5 just after introduction, I can't honestly see much of a quality change.

Hope this helps:)

3. BottomLine

BottomLine

Nov 17, 2002
    Rochester MI
    And now for the pic......lol

4. Hey that's pretty nice.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice top. Interestingly, my redwood 5 has a
    very different looking top. Yours is more like
    a quilt, where mine's more like a tiger flame.
    Check it out...
    [​IMG]

6. BottomLine

BottomLine

Nov 17, 2002
    Rochester MI
    Very nice........yes mine is much darker and doesn't have the horizontal lines in it yours does.How do you like the way your Cirrus sounds & plays?

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Let me put it this way... I really don't need essentially two basses this close to the same, but I just couldn't decide between them, so I took them both. :) Of course, it wasn't helping my GAS problem that the dealer is an old buddy of mine, and he moved them both at his cost plus shipping just 'cause they'd been on his wall for too long. :)

In short, the Peavey info is pretty accurate. The redwood/alder one is noticeably "warmer" like a vintage instrument, where the bubinga/walnut one is brighter and edgier, like a more contemporary bass sound. I love them both, and consider the Cirrus to be one of the few very underrated instruments out there (as we all do here).

8. I found a used Maple-top '99 model Cirrus 5 for $800 with case--I wonder if that is decent or can I likely do better?

It's supposedly mint, with not-a-scratch-on-it (a backup bass that wasn't really needed or something). In the pic I have, something makes the back of the strap horn look like it has a drastic change in wood or something; not real clear what it is at the resolution of picture I have...maybe glare or something, I'll have to find out more.

In light of the seemingly great used prices on these, it's hard to justify paying for a new one--even though I think I'd prefer the blue with a maple board (~$100 upcharge for the stain over the typical new price--so about $1200 new?). It's possible that this bass could be later replaced if/when I can afford a Benavente SC...

The blue that Peavey offers is kind of interesting, huh? (I do think it would look better with a maple board...Note that the used bass I found is the natural maple, not the blue that appears in these pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    The blue is very nice, but I'd have to say I like the natural wood tones the best myself.

$800 for a 3 year old Cirrus is a close call. The case is no "bonus", 'cause it's a standard feature for the bass. I think maybe the cheapest you could really get one new would be about another $400 or so more, so if it's really perfect, it might not be a bad deal. I don't think there is such a thing as a bad Cirrus, so there are some basic truths you could probably rely on (plays and sounds great).

...my .02...

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I don't believe bubinga and wenge tops are options anymore on the new fives.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Cirrus. I did and I was very pleased. It also held its value at resale.

I see no earthly reason to change out the bridge. The guitar has tons of sustain anyway as a neck through and the standard bridge is very solid and adjustable. The only thing I'd change out are the tuners, which are not worthy of the rest of the bass.

I would stay away from colors if you suspect you'll sell the bass down the line.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Basically, dittos on all...

Unless they're available, and simply not shown, my bubinga 5 is no longer available. In fact, I don't think they have any oil finish 5's anymore (unless the claro walnut is one... hard to tell... don't like their site updates).

Oh, and wenge is definitely discontinued. Lack of available wood.

Big dittos on the bridge and such. Spoke to some folks who were into premium axes and the common comment most had was that the all noted the Cirrus had no dead or even mild spots on the neck. I just went up and down the necks on both my bubinga and also my redwood 5, and I'll be darned if I can find a single spot on the neck that doesn't sustain and resonate beautifully and equally.

Personally, I don't have a huge problem with the tuners, but I also don't have many miles on the basses yet, either.

12. OK, I've waffled. I think I might go for a new one. The estimated price difference is worth it if I can get my choice in color/wood and I think I'll be keeping it for a long time; these are both Yes.

I'm reaching a little in terms of budget, now I just need to find the Peavey dealer that'll give me the cheapest price...any suggestions? I'm not impressed with the local shops (neither were very helpful or knowledgeable, but they are ready to take your order for nearly full list price--umm, overpay and receive subpar service??). So, any dealer is fair game.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. The standard models have an ABM bridge. ABM is one of the best hardware manufacturers around. The tuners on the standard models are adequate.

The tigereye model comes with Hipshot Style A bridge and Hipshot Ultralight tuners. No need to change any of that out.

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Re: Tuners. Your bass reflects what Peavey would like to do, but can't to make the main Cirrus line more affordable. In other words, what's on the Tiger Eye and not on the main line is where corners were cut.

15. Roger Crimm shared this pic with me of the blue.

16. And the red...although I'm going to go for the blue, the red is nice too!

17. I checked with GraphTech on the Fat A$$ Acoustic Sound saddles and they looked a little closer at pictures of the bridge. If I'm willing to ship them the bridge from my bass they think they can make/mod some FAAS saddles piezo pickup saddles to work with the stock bridge for the Cirrus. Sweet!

Would any of you current Cirrus owners be interested in such a thing?

URBBob.com has more info on them
    http://www.urbbob.com/graphtech.html]http://www.urbbob.com/graphtech.html

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Paint Shop Pro strikes again! :)

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Depending on the cost, yes, I'd be very interested
    to hear what shakes out from that. I played a Parker Fly Bass 5 at NAMM this past summer and the piezo sound was stunning.

20. The Fender-style ones are $180 which includes 5 saddles, the preamp and shipping. www.urbbob.bom has the scoop--apparently he's tried several piezos and these are the most natural sounding, check out the page.

I'm not sure what the saddles will cost for the Peavey ABM bridge config--even if they're another $100 I'd still be interested. The GraphTech folks are thinking about expanding the line, they were trying to figure out what other bridges are popular.

I wonder if Peavey has considered this. It seems like it's not considered the norm in the manufacurers' minds to modify a bass--I wonder if it would be lucrative for someone like Peavey to market "upgrade packages" for the Cirrus or basses like it--i.e. the "piezo add-on upgrade", etc? You might laugh but there may be ways to include/add a compressor in the on board preamp...hmmm I know they worry about getting away from a popular pricepoint, but if the bass stayed at the same pricepoint, and the standard "upgrade packages" were available would people go for them later on? Would knowing about these post-sale options help to sell the basses in the first place?

I'm thinking about the Mustang 5.0's of the 80's and early 90's where the mods (and mod packages) are so available that folks buy the cars and they plan to later do upgrades... Just a thought.