1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey cirrus 5 USA, what's similar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MeridianJoe, Mar 11, 2013.

1. MeridianJoe

MeridianJoe Jesus is THE way

Mar 11, 2013
    Carolina, the Piedmont
    Like the title says, what bass in your opinion is closest in feel and playability to a USA cirrus 5. I have a cirrus already and love it, just wanting to get something similar. Tobias killer b 5???

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Most would say a neckthrough Ken Smith.

3. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    I would agree with Cheese, having owned both.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it, Doc, but you are pretty dead on. I have played hundreds of basses (used to work at a dealer) and that's about the only thing I can think of that gets really close. That Cirrus, while really nice, is a skinny, mid heavy beast. I owned one for several years. The neck is flat, and the tone bites pretty hard (for my taste anyway). But they are very well built, and feel great. I would describe the Smith the exact same way.

5. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    You took the words right out of my mouth. I own both of them as Fivers and they are Kissin' Cousins! When I need a neck-through I whip out my Peavey. Other times it's Killer B. Very similar body woods, P/U and EQ... love both necks esp. the Tobias Asym profile.

6. I dunno, if you want something similar you could always get another Cirrus, Peavey GV, or Millennium

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Spade, I think the Millennium has a thinner neck profile although both take that great Peavey set up!

8. I'll take your word for it. My left hand technique doesn't really notice much about neck profiles unless extremely thick, thin, or neck dive.