Peavey Cirrus 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 17, 2001.

1. I played a bubinga/walnut one in my local music emporium today (McNeil's) for about 30 minutes, through a Hartke 3000 run flat through a Hartke 410XL (admittedly not the flattest-sounding rig, but I know what it sounds like so it was a good reference point).

My thoughts:

-What a sound! Ever-so-slightly compressed, and very even. Soloing the bridge pickup (my usual tactic) was a bit thin, but everything else sounded great.

-The B string is incredibly responsive. Even with the balance knob at the center detent (usually kills B-string response) the B is still very respectable, and that says a lot.

-Aesthetically, it's an absolute delight. The bubinga top is a slightly reddish brown, and on the light walnut body it's downright gorgeous. The build quality is flawless, which indicates that Peavey's quality control department hasn't been slacking off.

-The neck is wide and medium thickness, which makes for SPEED and no pain in the thumb. There's nothing like playing a fast samba groove on all five strings with no hand pain whatsoever. Also, the action was lower than any bass I'd ever played in my life--but totally buzz-free. Me like.

-Here's my problem: NO BALANCE! The small body looks cool but isn't nearly heavy enough to counteract the beef of the neck. Rich Lasner (the designer of this bass, as well as most of Ibanez's current production line of guitars and basses, the Yamaha BB series, and the Peavey G-series, and now president of Modulus) has great aesthetic sense, but one gets the impression that Hartley Peavey went cheap on him when it came to buying wood. There simply isn't enough mass on the body, even with that huge ABM bridge, to prevent slight neck dive. I couldn't find a strap position that was comfortable for both hands, and that's just no good.

So, with heavy heart, I can say that I just don't recommend this particular model. Sad, because it's got an incredible sound and great build quality.
  2. JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Actually, i believe Bunny Brunel designed the Yamaha BB (hence the name).

Anyway, standing up with the bass, i bet a good strap, like the comfort strapp, would cure the balance problems.
  3. I suppose. But I'm a believer in testing basses with crappy 2" nylon web straps--if it doesn't balance with a cheapie, it's not properly designed.
  4. Hmm, I tried a Cirrus 5 once (believe it was the same wood combo) and although I loved the playability and overall tone.. the B string seemed to be a weakness to me. Probably just a bad setup or an old string.
  5. JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Regardless of whether itll balance with a cheap strap, if itll balance with a good quality strap, who cares?
  6. I would. Even the best straps slip ever so slightly during a set. I have tendinitis in both my wrists and I need a very well balanced bass.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I can understand the balance issues.

OTOH I couldn't really tell you if any of my basses neck dive. The straps I use keep the bass exactly where I put it and distribute the weight so it's a non-issue for me.
  8. JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    I have the same experience with Brad, except i know my primary basses are ALL neck heavy, and i too have hand problems, but ive never noticed any of it while standing because of good quality straps. I guarantee you, if you buy a good strap, you wont care whether its perfectly balances or not while sitting, because it will balance perfectly when standing! And it wont bother your hand.