1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Cirrus 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Apr 21, 2009.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I found a USA Peavey Cirrus 5 string in good shape 4sale at a local Mom & Pop for $600! Do you think it's worth buying and flipping? I checked it out a few weeks back and balked but it's still there and I'm so tempted!

Thoughts.......

2. Archaeobass

Archaeobass

Dec 12, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    If it's in good shape and hasn't been used and abused too badly buy that shizz up.

That's a great price and the whole Cirrus line is filled with tone monsters. If the sound is clicking and it feels good, buy it up!

Buy it and don't look back!

:bassist:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Buy and don't be too quick to flip it. You might like it a lot!:bassist:

4. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    That's a steal ... I love Mine
    If you don't want it tell me where it is:D

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No way! If I can't have it, no one can! :D

6. MTMTEX

MTMTEX

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    Google mom and pop music shop in Hampton Roads Virginia...:D

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, if you don't buy it, let me know where it is and I'll go snag it just to keep it out of the hands of some little dweeb. Seriously.

If I keep it, I'll bring it to the next GTG and let you touch it....but only once and only after you've washed your hands.

Riis

8. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    A Cirrus 5 is a great bass. I have two. But, even on ebay they are only bringing maybe 800 in pristine condition with original case. For whatever reason, Peavey is still looked down on by many. This must be due to ignorance.

[​IMG][/IMG]

000_0136.

9. I say grab it.

I was in a GC just the other day, They had a new Cirrus 5 BSX in Darkwood for......$194.97....closeout.

I played it for a bit. Went home to sleep on it. Went back and bought it the next day. First bass purchase I have made since '95. How could I not?

I'm a bassic guy, 26 year old RI Jazz bass with flats is all I have been playing for years, except for the occasional turn on my old beat up Ric 4003. This Cirrus is a whole different beast for me, active pickups, roundwounds, 5 strings.......what the hell am I gonna do with it?? :D

It's really well made and sounds great. I have no benchmark for a 5 string, this is all new to me, but I like it so far. The US made one for 600 bucks sounds like a great deal too. Go for it.

10. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm old enough to remember Peavey's early stuff & a lot of it really was not very good & I think they have had a hard time (in some circles more than others) shaking that reputation.

I have owned a lot of Peavey PA stuff but only one bass ( before the Cirrus) ... a "Foundation" in the 80's ... it was OK but not great.

When I first saw. then played the USA Cirrus 5 I have now I was blown away ... & I still have a hard time believing its a Peavey even though I know it stupid to think that way.....

11. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree. The stuff they were making in the "old" days was, well, crap.

12. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Get it before it's gone!!!!!!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

13. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay, here's the deal....

I drove over and gave it a once-over. Nice looking maple-capped Cirrus 5 with the usual amount of player wear....certainly not mint but in very good condition cosmetically. The rest of the story:

1) Mom 'n Pop want $600. There is no case but they'll throw in a mal-fitting generic one for nuthin'.

2) The strings are dead which might not be a bad thing if you dig a Jamerson-esque vibe.

3) Pups / electronics are fine.

4) Waaay too much relief. Might be fixable via the truss rod alone, may need to be clamped.

5) Lots of fret wear. It almost appears as if the frets were leveled, sanded, whatever and never re-crowned. Very irregular flattened profiles.

6) Nut has been shimmed with two layers of brass and re-cut...poorly. The good news is that replacement Peavey graphtech nuts are only ~$10

7) Normal tarnishing / loss of gold plating on the tuners and bridge.

Needless to say, I passed. The nut replacement and set-up I can live with but a re-fret is another story altogether.

Riis

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Whew! I'm glad my intuition kept me from going back for it. Thanks for the update. I really want another cab anyway (looking for a SWR Goliath Jr.).

See you at the GTG (whenever that is...)

15. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'll check back at (insert store name here) in a couple of weeks. If its still there, I might make an offer. It may be playable but, at this point, I'm sut not sure. There is a two week return policy which is unusual when purchasing used gear. Then again, chances are some unobservant clod will buy it on the spot without giving it a full inspection.

Riis