1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Cirrus 6/MTD 635/Ken Smith BSR 6 Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzbass6, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

I searched on this and found only pieces of info, so I'm posting fto get some direct comparisons tone wise. If I missed something please steer me to the post. I know a Smith is a Smith as is a MTD, but I heard some good things about the Cirrus and it's tonal variety, particularly Slap Tone be in the vicinity of the other two. I play one a while back and it had a nice finger style bark, but I was playing through a crappy amp and the strings were dead so the slap tone wasn’t there. So what’s the real deal?
    Thanks

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Here is a good example of the Cirrus slap tone in a live setting:

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh

fastforward to the middle...

he/she/it has a pretty mellow passive playing style though, i slap a lot harder and they bark more when you play harder of course.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Ooh! That's nice!

I'm definitely not a slapper, so I'll refrain from commenting on my Cirrus 6's slap tone, but will state that I think that video was a pretty good representation of what I hear as a general Cirrus tone. Modern, a little honky, not so huge in the lows that I associate w/ MTDs a la Juan Nelson w/ Ben Harper. Only Smith I've really spent time with was a 4, and like I said, I'm not a slapper, so no comment on that.

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Nice.
    I`ve the audio file but never had the chance to see it live.
    Thanks for sharing.

6. There is wayy too much chorus in that guys guitar. My Cirrus in no way sounds like that

7. Man, that sounds like a Smith to me! I would have put money on it if someone would have asked me.

8. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Not that they have to sound like that...but it sounded pretty "typically" cirrus-like to me.

I guess since the rest of us seem to think its a good sound, maybe we unconsciously tried to get that sound from ours and consider it typical?

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's actually by design. :)

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Let me be the first to say that I don't think an MTD sound anything like a Smith or Cirrus. The Smith and Cirrus often get compared, but this is the first time I've ever heard anybody compare them to an MTD.

11. jzbass6

Thanks Dr. I thought I had seen someone slapping a Cirrus silly but I could'nt remember where I saw it. Maurice Fitzgerald with Fred Hammond.
    Cool :cool:

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I owned a bolt-on Smith for over a year, and I have always thought Cirruses and Ken Smiths sound similar.

13. jzbass6

Can you tell me what sets them apart soundwise in your opinion? I haven't had the chance to play an American MTD as of yet but I have played a couple of Smiths, all killers. A friend of mine has a Cirrus 5 and I'm hoping I can borrow it as I plan to go to Bass Club in Chicago, Mark has a MTD 635 and a Smith 6 on hand.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know you did not ask me, but having just played a great 535 weekend before last, I can tell you that MTD are definitely more scooped and less mid heavy than eithers Cirruses or Ken Smiths. They have a super slap sound, IMO.

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
  16. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    Smiths and Cirrus basses both have a very strong mid focus. I don't think that MTD's lack mids in general (depends on the wood combo) but I've never played an MTD with as much mid focus as a Smith or a Cirrus. MTD's are also MUCH wider than Smiths and Cirrus's, with a much bigger low end and more extended highs.

I had a Cirrus for a long time, and many times after recording in the studio I had people tell me they though I used a Smith on the track...

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think Dr. Cheese and Vision have you covered, but I wouldn't exactly say MTD's are mid scooped as much as Dr. Cheese has suggested. I think Vision touched on that a bit.

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, I think it's probably most reasonable to say there's a very distinct midrange characteristic to the Smiths, and the Cirrus basses have a very similar characteristic (again, as I understand it, by design). I would add the Sadowsky Modern/24F to this "family" of tones (tho I would never say it sounds just like a Smith or Cirrus). Very distinctive, fairly different than most other basses. The MTD, on the other hand, is what I'd consider to be a lot more along the mainstream, but just at the extreme modern end of it.

19. I can not believe that is a cirrus. I have seen people use that song as an example of the smith tone. I would have bet my rig that song was recorded with a smith.

lowsound

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY