1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey cirrus 6 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cutty, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Please give me your opinions on this bass,and how does it compare with other brands?thanks.

2. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    The Cirrus (USA model) seems to be very underrated (not on TalkBass, though). I didn't know anything about this bass myself until I heard this clip:

I knew that I wanted one and am very glad to have it. A tech who sets up the guitars for my friend who plays with me for our choir did some work on my Cirrus. He said that it is one of the nicest and best designed basses that he has ever seen-and he has seen many! They are a steal used, which is how I got mine.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

3. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    That's great,i,m going to see one today,i will probably buy it!!!great video,thankyou.

4. Yeah and Bill on his.

5. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I don't own one but have had the opportunity to play quite a few and they are fantastic, professional grade basses. I like the neck profile because it's flatter than some.

6. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Well i bought it!!!just the same woods the Mr Dicken's has,set it up to to my liking and it plays super low and sounds really great!!!let you see some pics when it stops raining,thanks for the help guys.

7. Definitely post some pix. I love my redwood 6. Congrats!!!

8. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Here is another clip of Mike Hill on a Cirrus Tiger Eye:

49DDA3112FB&playnext=1&index=6

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

9. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    I will!!raining again here,well we are in the UK!!!!soon as i get a chance i will take some,mine is also Redwood.

10. vprahlad

vprahlad

Oct 21, 2007
    Bangalore, India
    Fletch and Cutty,

Did you try out the other Cirrus options before settling on your respective Redwoods? On another thread, someone had mentioned that the Redwood sounds thinner than the other options - did you notice that?

(Yeah, suffering a pretty severe case of G.A.S here ;-) )

11. Alot of people absolutely,positively WILL NOT purchase a Cirrus.Why???Because of the price!!Also,"It doesn't cost enough,so it must be no good." Also,because Peavey never really caught on as a "top-tier" bass-maker.When,in actuality,they have been,maybe not in the hi-end/boutique realm.Same with Carvin basses,too.

What can I say??Some people have to keep up with the "Jones".

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I had a maple topped/alder Cirrus 6. Looked and played beautiful, but the neck width + 35" scale was just a little too big for me, so I traded it for a fretless redwood/alder Cirrus 5. I did not find the tone to be thin at all--plenty fat and burpy with the bridge PU soloed, deep enough for reggae with the neck pickup soloed.

I found the bubinga-bodied Cirrus to have a more prominent, Warwick-like midrange but that wasn't my cup of tea. The only wood combo I didn't like was the walnut--kinda flat and lifeless compared to all the other options...just my .02.

13. I don't find mine to sound thin either. I've played a walnut and a bubinga bodied cirrus. I like them too but I favor the redwood. I find it to be extremely versatile. I have toyed with trading it for a 5 like Winston did but if I did it would be for another redwood.

14. tfmbass

tfmbass

Dec 13, 2006
    Orlando,Fl
    I use to have the Tiger Eye 6 with the maple fretboard.

Amazing sound! Very heavy and went through 9volts like crazy.

I wish I still had it.

15. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    I did try other wood combinations,but found this redwood to be very even across the spectrum,this is the wood combo info from the Peavey site,
    Tonal Characteristics of Cirrus Bass Woods

1. Wenge: This wood has very crisp highs and good low-mids. Great for slap and funk. Unfortunately it is no longer offered due to a lack of availability.
    2. Bubinga: This wood has a more accentuated midrange with a smooth high end and a warm low end.
    3. Walnut: This wood has warm lows and low-mids with a smooth high end.
    4. Maple: This wood has an even low end with smooth mids and is bright but not edgy or harsh. Very alive and sensitive.
    5. Redwood: This wood is very even across the entire tonal range. Similar to the maple but it is lighter.