Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rimas, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Im lookin at mid quality 6-strings.. ie, less than 3,000.

Peavey Cirrus 6? yay or Nay? I could probably find one used for a grand, and that would be right up my alley... what do you guys think of them?

Theres a sweet alembic 6 for around 2000 at the guitar center in seattle... im considering this also, but it will probably sell before i have money together.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I previously played Roscoe and Warwick 6ers (fretted and fretless). I am now a total Peavey Cirrus convert. They're the only instruments I own now. I've put up several posts not only about the basses but about the fantastic customer service that I've received from Peavey.
    In my opinion you won't find a better built, better sounding instrument for anywhere near the price and if anything ever does go wrong with it, Peavey TOTALLY backs up their products.
    Do a search on them and I'm sure you'll find that the vast majority of comments are about how incredible they are for the money.
    Here's a pic of my two. I've said it before, as long as Peavey keeps makin' them, I'll keep playin' them.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have not had the pleasure of playing a Cirrus yet, but I have heard nothing but good things both about the Cirrus and Peavey's customer service. I think that it would be a excellet choice.

4. i'm selling mine for about a grand. redwood top. just pm me if you're interested.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Can't comment on the 6, but I chose my Cirrus 4 over some instruments that cost twice as much. A Cirrus 5 is in the cards for me next. I fell in love with the 4 the second I put my hand on the neck. I'm not a fan of other Peavey stuff (it's certainly durable) but this bass is definitely not your typical Peavey fare.

:)

6. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Take a minute to try out other basses, compair prices and then play the Cirrus. No doubt you'll choose the Cirrus and save yourself some money too. It's a super instrument, excellent low, fast action right out of the box. Great tone and somewhat lighter in weight than most Basses. It is a beast!

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I owned a Cirrus 6 for awhile and it was fantastic, boutique quality all the way around. I sold it b/c it was a 6, just wasn't my thing, and went thru a rash of 5's. I ended up buying a Cirrus 5 and am completely happy with it. IMO, the Cirrus line is is arguably the best value on the new or used market. I can't say enough great things about them. :bassist:

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

Sweet line up, bro. I love the flame maple Cirrus'. I'd love to get a 5 with that top. Here's a pic of mine for the heck of it.

9. You can't go wrong with a Cirrus, dude. I bought mine 6 moons ago and have never regretted it. Full, phat tones. Unbeatable price. Setup was outstanding straight out of the box.. Rock solid neck. And to top it off, it's a beauty to look at. Check out my peacock blue six.:D

10. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Cirrus Six is a bad ass bass. I own two Cirrus 5's and If I had the cash on me, I'd jump all over this Cirrus 6 on e-bay get it while you can homeboy. Its true, try out other basses to see what you like, but honestly...I have a Cort Curbow 6 and I've played a variety of other six strings...I would easily pass up buying a $3000 or more dollar 6 string to get a good Cirrus 6.
    Hope this helps ya out.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Cirrus line is very highly regarded here on talkbas. The only people who disparage them are the people who just don't like the style, which is fine. Construction and quality are absolutely top shelf. If you like the tone, playability, and "vibe", they're a no brainer.

12. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Everything everybody above me has said is accurate, and I have one more thing to add: versitility! I can get any sound I want out of this baby. I play in a metal band and in a jazz big band, with the same amp. A few tweaks of the active knobs, and away I go. Highly recommended that you pick one of these up.
    EDIT:
    <----------there she is :D

13. Would anyone recommend Cirrus for slap and funk styles?

14. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    The Cirrus is a slap monster.

15. switchblade

switchblade Guest

May 31, 2003
    London, England, UK
    Yeah I hear they are pretty good :D

16. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Cirrus is a Bad @ss slapper...I gave up my Ernie Ball Stingray to get another one of these things.
    They can slap. Oh yeah. They can slap.

17. Pick up Robert Randolph and the Family Band; Live at the Wetlands...

Danyel Randolph, the bass player, plays Cirrus and Modulus 6's. He does some crazy innovation regarding his slap and picking techniques, but it sounds awesome... I still havent found a Cirrus of any kind to try out, but It would seem that it would be an excellent bass for funk and slap.

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Actually, it's Danyel Morgan. I just caught the band on VH1, and I was very impressed. It's been a long time since I heard a mainstream song with such a wicked bass intro.

19. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'll be selling mine very soon... Anyone interested?

20. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I think what I like most about the Cirrus is the fit. It's got the thinnest, most comfortable shape, and the neck is comfortable too. The instrument feels a part of you when you play. Most other basses feel chunky by comparison.