Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey cirrus 6er vs. ibanez btb1206e

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wiggett, Aug 17, 2005.

1. so im looking at these two basses for my next purchase, which will be a 6banger. the peavey would most likely need to be used to fit my budget, but the btb would be new.

so, including price as a vairable, which one would you reccomend? i played the btb1205e, and loved it. and i have played a peavey cirrus 4, which was very nice aswell. so they both have the tone and feel for me. but i just cannot make up my mind on one of them. im leaning to the ibanez simply for value and bang for buck.

what are your thoughts?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have played both and have found the Peavey basses to play much better.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Cirrus. The BTB has some intersting features and good specs but I just find the cirrus does it for me.

4. Get the Cirrus with the mid sweep option that comes on the custom shop cirrus and tiger eye or buy a regular cirrus like I did and buy the preamp from peavey for 49 bux. Makes world of a difference :bassist:

5. I'm a 'high end' bass guy and I've owned a ton of them. I had the opportunity to play a Cirrus 5 string yesterday. Amazing! Beautiful fit and finish, great sound, amazing playability AMAZING price. I was truly impressed (and quite frankly surprised) at how top notch that bass was.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Peavey makes very good basses for the money, and the Cirrus is no exception. I think they're great bargains, and I'd recommend them over most, if not all 6'ers less than $2000.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    These basses are not even in the same league. It's like comparing an SX Jazz copy to a Fender MIM.

If you're considering the Cirrus you're way past Ibanez.

8. Cirrus all the way, you won't go wrong.

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    there's no question, go with the cirrus...i've had my cirrus 5 since '98 and i still love it, nothing comes anywhere near as close to it in its price range in terms of playability, construction, and sound.

you can set the neck as straight as you want it, and the fingerboard is very quick. the b string is tight and punchy, and it matches well with the other strings. also, the cirrus 6 is one of the easiest 6 string basses i've played on, and i really don't like playing on 6's usually.

the electronics are really great, you can get any tone out of that bass from a jazz bass type sound, to a ken smith type sound, to a fat supportive sound, to a modern punch and sizzle type sound. its all right there. the electronics are REALLY quiet too, you can crank the treble all the way up and get no hiss at all, no harshness.

if you're patient, you should be able to get a really good deal on a used cirrus, i've seen them go for as low as $650-700...you just have to wait for the right deal.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll agree with everybody else and say 'get the Cirrus!' Of course, I may be a bit biased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. but for another 1000 bucks, when moneys tight. is it truely worth it? the ibanez seemed just fine for me, especially the price. and im a 100%ferm believer of trybefore you buy. so no ebay, or TB purchases. too risky. my guts saying the btb. because i cant realllly justify spending 2grand on a bass when im only 15, playing for 2years, and will need a car in a year. plus right now im paying off my amp (pics to follow, eta=1week) and ill have to pay for the bus to go to school, cellphone etc.

really, and in all honesty, i think the ibanez would do just fine. esp. for what i would need. sure the peaveys probably alot better and nicer, but i dont really need it atm.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Jeff, you just had to post the pics of yours, didn't ya!! :scowl:

Now you have got me thinking again. Thanks. Thanks a lot. ;)

Seriously, though, I will own another Cirrus someday. I am currently planning out a Roscoe SKB3006, so the Cirrus will obviously be down the road somewhere, but there is another in my future sometime at least.

If money is an issue, go with the Ibanez. I have played one, and they are very decent basses. You will probably be very happy with it, especially if you have already played one and know that you like it.

But, if you happen to come across some extra cash, I would pick the Cirrus hands down.