Peavey Cirrus BXP 34" Scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZB3, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ZB3

ZB3

Feb 20, 2009
    Klamath Falls, OR
    I have been playing a '87 Fender Japan P-Bass which is a great bass. I have really small hands and the reach at the nut is hard. My twin brother years ago defected to the Jazz Bass because the thinner nut/neck is much easier to play. Fifteen years ago I had lost the use of both hands for awhile so I decided it is time for a different bass with a Jazz bass type neck since I am gigging alot now and notice LH discomfort when playing near the nut on the P-Bass. I am in the middle of a career change so money is really tight when the music store that I teach at got in this Chinese made Peavey Cirrus BXP with a 34" scale four string neck. Some of the older ones were 35" scale but this is a 34" scale which I prefer for my small hands. I can not afford a Fender Jazz or other bass right now and I got the Cirrus ridicuously cheap. I took the bass home switched to a light guage string and set the neck fairly flat with low action and wow I am impressed for a chinese import bass. The active electronics does sound more modern than the P-Bass. I have been a passive guy for years. The reach on the nut/neck is just what the doctor ordered though and I have noticed a difference with my left hand already. The bass is light and comfortable with good access to all 24 frets. This bass plays very well. First gig is this week and that will be the true test. I mention all of this because I usually like the American made basses or equivilents (Fender Japan etc.) With money very tight right now I had no choice but to try a cheaper alternative. Used Fender Jazzes are way more money than the Cirrus was. Many of my students also can not afford the high prices of many domestic or import quality basses right now. With a quality setup these cheaper alternatives can make a great playing and sounding bass. Since I am economically challenged right now I am sharing this to encourage others to give the cheaper alternatives a try. Have fun, Wayne

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Fenders=overvalued
    Peaveys are undervalued

Lumdingo likes this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021