Peavey Cirrus BXP 5??!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Okay, I didn't know that Peavey made a Cirrus BXP. I think it's cool cuz I own a Millenium BXP, and I know that its nowhere near as good as a real Millenium, but the Cirrus BXP seems to be nicely made with the same VFL pickups as its older brother. But I have a quandry that need settling. I'm currently looking into either a Schecter Stilleto bass or another mahogony body maybe neckthrough bass. is the Cirrus BXP even comparable? Im looking for a low muddy growly bass with major lows... I have no concerns for highs, basses aremeant to go low, not high (IMO). Is an Agathis body going to be suitable for this??

Thanks, any feedback is appreciated!
  2. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I find that my agathis-bodied bass (Ibanez SR300DX) has much thicker/richer lows than any of the alder-bodied basses I've ever owned. And it has enough highs that it's not complete mud. There is decent note definition and I like the slap tone.

Agathis gets a bad rap as a tonewood, but I personally prefer it to the more heralded alder, which is heavily midrangey, but shy in the lows and highs and kinda lacks bite (at least it did on the alder bodied basses I've played.) Agathis has more bite, thicker/richer lows, enough highs for a solid slap short, it's a highly underrated tonewood that I find rather good sounding. And compared to my bubinga-bodied Warwick Corvette, it's lightweight too.

Using flatwound or half-round/groundwound strings may help too.

My favorite tonewood is still bubinga. My Warwick Corvette Standard has a bubinga body, wenge neck/fingerboard and it has some of the thickest lower-midrange growl I've ever heard. Very rich tone. The only downside is that the bass is heavy.