Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus BXP-5????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robear22, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I searched and could not find a lot of info on these basses. Does anyone own this line of the cirrus basses? I just ordered one as a replacement for a faulty yamaha(long story). Any info pertaining to sound, looks, and feel would be appreciated. Any pics would be lovely also thanks.:smug:

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have a mahogany Cirrus BXP 5 and a wenge/walnut Cirrus 4 (US model) to compare it to. The BXP is one heck of a deal for the price. Fit and finish is very good. The neck is a little bit thicker, front-to-back than the US 5 string-I am guessing to compensate for the lack of graphite reinforcing bars in the BXP. It still is thinner than, say a Tribute L2500 neck, and is very comfortable even for my small hands. Tone is very good, stock, but not up to the level of the US Cirrus, IMHO, due to the electronics (pickups are the same). Yesterday, I replaced the BXP electronics with those from a USA Millenium...now we're talkin'! Much, much better to my ears...sounds just like my US model.
    I think you will be most pleased with your purchase...I was.

Kim

3. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Do you have any pics?:confused: :smug:

Thanks for your insight. I am hoping that this bass is a real player. I got the Tiger eye maple top model. Where did you get the millenium preamp from?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have played a Cirrus BXP twice since Saturday and I have been really impressed. THey are great looking basses, I did not even know it was a BXP until I saw the pricetag. The sound is very similar to the USA Cirrus IMO. Since I don't own a Cirrus, I differ to the guy who posted who owns one. I think that the Cirrus BXP is a great deal, you could easily fake some out and make them think you have a 2K bass if they miss that made in Indonesia sticker.

5. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Anyone else know anything about these basses? Also givin' it a little bump to the front for the morning crowd!!

6. i have a BXP, but it's a 4. the tone is not entirely different from the USA model, but the USA is warmer and a little more lively. still, this is quite a good sounding and versatile bass.

also, i prefer the neck's thickness to that of the USA. i don't recall if the width of the neck is the same, but the BXP neck is definitely thicker front-to-back than the USA neck, and i find it very comfortable.

it's good to hear other people have observed this, because my BXP is the OE manufacturer's sample that i bought from the company when i worked there. so there's no guarantee that what i have reflects what is in stores now.

robb.

7. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Thanks for the reply rcz. Which one did you get?

8. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Played one, it's quite a nice bass, very good value.

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I will take some pics in a few minutes. I'll have to post them on another forum because I haven't ante'd up here--I WILL, I swear, lol!

I had the Millenium board on hand and had also put one in my US Cirrus, just to get the sweepable midrange-a significant improvement, IMHO. I will now try to get you some pics.

Kim

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Okay- here are some pics (I hope!):

My BXP5 and US4:
    [​IMG]

The BXP5:
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the Millennium board in the Cirrus BXP5:
    [​IMG]

And my Millennium Plus J:
    [​IMG]

To say that I am in love with the Millennium circuitry would be an understatement, lol!

At any rate, the Cirrus BXP is a fine instrument, as delivered. I just couldn't resist messin' with it:D

Kim

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My local dealer has picked up a Cirrus BXP 5 and 4 in the last week. These two basses give the Tributes L-2000/2500 and the Skyline 55-01 a serious run for the money when it comes to being the best bang for the buck bass. I really like Cirri because they are neckthrough, thereby really adding a different flavor for great basses in the budget category. I could seriously own a Cirrus BXP and not miss owning a USA Cirrus although they are great too. Best of all the Cirrus basses are actually a bit cheaper than either Tributes or Skylines even though they absolutely match them in build quality. I guess this because these peaveys are made in Indonesia. For us guys without boutique money, God bless East Asia!

12. the BXP series is made in korea, not indonesia. only the millenium AC BXP is made in indonesia. not that that changes the end result, necessarily.

i have the "darkwood" model. it looks like an alder or mahognay body with "darkwood" top and back. the body is a little to orange to be obviously alder, and i can't really see as much grain as i'm used to in mahogany, so i'm not sure. the neck is maple and walnut, from what i can see. if you search BXP and my user name, i'm sure a picture of me playing it a couple summers ago will surface. wow. i've had that bass for almost two years already.

robb.

13. Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Thank you for the pics rok51. :D

I feel a lot better about the decision I made. Hopefully it lives up to what you guys have stated. I hope it gets here by the weekend. The anticipation is getting unbearable. It is like waiting on Christmas Eve when I was a kid. I will post pics of mine when it comes.

14. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hi there,

Does that BXP Cirrus line offer some fretless ? I could find nothing about it.

It would be a great instrument at great price to start on fretless. And if fretless is not my thing, I suppose it woould not be a so important waste of money.

Thanks

Sheers

15. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Not necessarily.

I just played a 4-string Cirrus BXP (that I may be taking possesion of) that had a "Made in Indonesia" sticker on the back of the headstock. That isn't to say that yours wasn't made in Korea but this one definitely had the sticker.

Again, that may not matter at the end of the day but that is the deal.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You better take possesion of that bass IotaNet. That four banger sounds dang near like a Ken Smith when you slap it. That is one hunk of bass for the money!

17. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i may want to get a BXP as a backup to my US Cirrus...what kind of wood is the top on this one? It looks killer!!!

[​IMG]

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That top is bubinga. A local store has one just like it. If it is like the one around here, it is great!

19. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nice! That bubinga has a really nice figure to it...almost burl like...I wanna check one out!

20. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hmmm...
    Sorry men, are there any fretless in Cirrus BXP line ?

Thanks for the infos

Sheers