1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Cirrus BXP hissing problem.....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stix_clgi, Jan 14, 2012.

1. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    What's up y'all?

My Indonesian Cirrus BXP recently was having a problem with this loud whooshing noise upon plugging it up. After the initial hookup, it would sporadically make a hissing noise, even with treble and volume cut low. I let my local music store do a repair on it, in which they swapped the preamp from my millennium into the Cirrus. Now, it works fine, but I can't plug the cable all the way into the jack. If I do, it disengages the preamp and I get no sound....any idea what the problem might be?the tech already tried swapping the pickups and the stereo jack....it still does the same thing #helpplease

2. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Anyone have any ideas?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Either the jack is bad or they wired it up wrong. I'd take it back to the store that fixed it.

4. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Sorry about the late reply... I'm going to take the bass to someone else as according to the first tech everything was swapped, even the stereo jack. It's weird too, on cheaper equipment like my practice amp there's a very loud hum when the cable is halfway inserted; I get sound though over the top of the hum. When I touch anywhere on the bass the hum gets a little louder. Weird... Anyways, i was thinking the jack was bad, so I'll see about getting a new one wired up. Thanks for the tip.

5. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Because when the jack isn't in all the way you are getting the signal part of the jack is probably touching ground.

6. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Okay, so I opened up the cavity and checked the wires going to the jack: they were like half soldered, and a light touch knocked two of the wires completely off of the jack. SOOOOoo...I'm trying to resolder everything to see if that is what the problem is....this was my very FIRST experience soldering ANYTHING:hyper:lol

So the Peavey VFL pups are active, so there's one thick red wire that looks like it has another thinner white wire running inside of it. I removed about half a centimeter of casing from both the white and red wires, and resoldered them to the contacts they were connected to before. The result: Still getting zero signal when instrument cable is all the way inserted, getting really loud hum, but a signal when it is pulled out about half an inch. Also in this state, the hum gets louder when I touch anywhere on the bass...especially the strings. The little silver wire that I think is the ground is soldered to the Bass pot (or is it the blend pot, I'm at work, can't remember).

I unsoldered and resoldered the wires AGAIN....this time....nothing lol....I'm not sure if I fried the wires or if I soldered them in the wrong place....I just don't know, and I can't find any resources for wiring the Peavey active VFL's....Can somebody....ANYBODY....help me?? I have a spare stereo jack from some EMG pups I just got, but I don't want to use it yet because IDK if I'll need it for the other project I will be working on.

Thanks in advance.

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Check how your output jack is wired. It sounds like the hot and ground is swapped. That's why touching the strings would make a loud hum, because they are now "hot".

When you plug the jack in half way, the hot part of the plug is touching the ring part of the jack, which is where the battery is supposed to connect.

Something is not wired right.

8. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    You know, that's what I was thinking this morning, but I didn't have time to swap the wires. I was really hoping to find some kind of diagram, but since I've got the DIY joneses, I'm going to try it when I get home, maybe nothing is wrong with the jack..

Quick soldering question if you don't mind...I bought some flux at the suggestion of a local guitar tech, and it came in a little bottle, like hair grease....how do you apply it? Should I just take a little napkin and put some on it, then wipe it on the place I want to solder? Thanks in advance!!

9. stix_clgi

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Okay, so the wires were soldered to the wrong contacts lol! I unsoldered and resoldered them and I have signal, with no hum!! I'm so excited now! I was worried I was going to have to figure out where the black wire goes too, but it worked out! Thanks SGD for the tips!!