Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey cirrus BXP -- it's official.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robb., Jul 23, 2004.

1. i should've guessed we'd wait for SNAMM to announce it. check out the press release at our web site.

maybe my BXP is a lot closer to reality than the one in the infamous BP advertisement -- mine has gold hardware instead of black. i guess that also means i have a darkwood top, whatever that it. it looked like walnut to me.

robb.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Finally :p

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Got that right :p

4. According to their site, this model will be in 4, 5 and 6 string version, and the price starts in the $700.00s, which means ~ 50% lower than the Cirrus prices (i.e. 6 string). Exciting, yes, but I believe at that price they have to cut corners.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm a little confused by that as well. The prices are lower? There's variable mids, gold knobs, and what looks like a matching headstock. These are upgrades so if the price is 50% lower where are they cutting corners?

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

They're imported. I wouldn't call it cutting corners, just foreign ;).

Looks good, I'll have to get some on my next order :)

7. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004

were are they made???? not usa

8. May be South Korea, like the Fury series

9. they're made in korea. anything we make with the "BXP" suffix is imported. my own BXP is outstanding. it looks like a mahogany core with walnut facings, and 5-piece maple and walnut neck throught.

i think we've started offering a variable mid on our USA cirrus basses, for which we've also opened a "custom shop". check out our summer namm release page for the info on the cirrus custom shop.

robb.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, Korean made basses can be good (look at the Skylines). As long as quality control stays high. I'm thinking more and more about a custom Cirrus or a Claro Walnut Cirrus when I have the funds...ahh the gas....

It will be interesting to have someone compare the BXP series with the US Cirrus in terms of the details.

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Sounds interesting.
    An affordable Cirrus for the masses.

The Cirrus Custom Shop it`s a great idea.
    Didn`t know about that possibility.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Someone on TB owns the first, and I guess until now ONLY Cirrus custom. Can't remember who it was, but...someone!

13. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    That´s Mr Secret Donkey
    and AFAIK it´s not ready yet.

We´re all waiting for it.

14. [disclaimer]i am an employee of peavey. the give me money so i can eat.[/disclaimer]

i had already written this comparison of my BXP to several of the USA cirrus basses i've played before:

i have hardware made in the USA by hipshot -- they're the best tuners i've ever felt on a bass. the monorail bridge is pretty cool, too. i can string thru the bridge or thru the body. i think the production versions will have korean-made tuners licensed by hipshot. the knobs are a matching muted-gold color, same as the rest of the hardware.

the neck is the most notable departure from typicaly cirrus and peavey fare. it is quite a bit thicker from front to back than any other peavey i've played, and it's also wider. it's sort of a cross between a p-bass and a cirrus.

the pickups and preamp are quite nice. they're the same as the USA cirrus, as far as i know. if you've played a cirrus then you know about it's warm yet extended response -- it can do thick and thumpy pretty well considering that you can also get close to a classic EMG sound with them, too.

very nice walnut front and back with what i believe to be a mahogany core. maple with walnut five-piece neck and a matching walnut headstock veneer. overall it's a pretty sweet bass.

but what is all this worth -- i work for the company, so maybe i'm just a shill.

robb.

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Everything in that reply made me happy -- except for the size of the neck :spit: . I'll try one out asap anyway, as it sounds like an otherwise AWESOME buy.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. I really like what I've seen in Lakland's and G&L's Korean-made basses. I'm wondering if they're both made in the same factory. Possibly it's the same factory that's making Peavey's BXP-Series basses?

Whomever is building them does a great job IMHO.

I'm looking forward to try out the US-Cirrus & the BXP-Series too! :bassist:

Great news. -A.P.

17. Any idea when the Cirrus custom shop will be online?

I haven't even seen it and already I'm feeling GAS pains... :scowl:

18. MAn these are nice!
    Thanks
    Troy

19. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    What will the street price be?

20. So this is basically a Cirrus.

For the half the price of a Cirrus? Maybe I should get one, once the funds are right.