Peavey Cirrus BXP - Not what I expected!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VS, Jul 22, 2010.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Lately on ebay people have been trying to sell Millenniums for up to $300 over what they have been selling for. Which puts them into used Cirrus price range.

Of course... they haven't been selling at that price, but listing...

2. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Yeah, there have been a few listed by one or two people over and over again for $800+ but they havnt sold. Ive contacted one of the people who tries to sell overpriced stuff on their before and he just told me off. I wasnt rude or anything, they just think what they are asking is fair and wont even hear people out. No doubt they wonder why the stuff isnt selling....

3. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    I have a BXP Cirrus. It plays just fine..not sure what is what.it has gold hardware. No complaints..I bought it from a guy on ebay as new condition for 379 dollars shipped with a hard case. Also have a modded Zodiac I bought from a TB'er. I put flatwounds on it and its just amazing...especially for the price. The finish and fit on the Zodiac is really nice also.

4. I have a Cirrus BXP 5'er, made in Indonesia. Black hardware. I'd say the QC on the bass is great. Great sound, great finish, great player. It doesn't get a lot of play-time, because I'm mainly a 4-string player, but quality wise, I don't see where it's lacking at all. I don't know much about the Chinese Cirrus', but the Indonesian-crafted are 1st rate, IMO. And how to tell it's Indonesian: Scripted "Handcrafted in Indonesia" on the back of the headstock...under the clear, not some cheap sticker meant to be peeled off. The factory that built the Indonesian models must have actually been proud of the basses they produced.

5. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Ive owned 2 indos with a sticker.

6. As a guy who can put any 5er they've put out next to eachother.. the Millenium plus is this underrated.. (once they're setup).

7. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Yes, since they are like the Rodney Dangerfield of bass guitars, you can score a huge value with a gently used Peavey. One of the "good" Indonesian Cirrus BXP fivers can be had for around $400.00 or less, and the USA version a couple hundred more. Incredible value for an 18v active neck-through on board EQ five-string bass--if you're not a gear snob.

8. I am a gear snob.. I won't play the chineese or korean peaevys.

9. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

That's not being a gear snob, that's being smart. You're not prejudice of the brand, but the spotty QC from those factories.

10. Actally the early asian stuff is passable (Milestone etc).. just as a rule - better to find a Foundation, Fury, Patriot, TL, Dyna, RJ, Cirrus, Palladium, Unity, BQyuad, GBass, etc.

11. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I really need (want) a Gbass!

12. There's a couple for sale in the classifieds here right now.

13. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I paid $194.00 at GC two years ago for my Indonesian Cirrus BXP and its hands down the BEST cheap bass I have ever owned!
    As a matter of fact I was just noodling on it unplugged.
    Its the older version with the "woodier" finish, before most of the Cirrus's ended up with veneer tops and 20 extra coats of poly.
    GC gave the bass away because two of the pot knobs were missing. Its all gold hardware and in fact, this bass got me through a year and a half in a regular working bar band with no backup instrument.
    At the time my wife only approved a tiny budget for a working stiff 5 string.
    It doesn't surprise me that your Chinese version is a piece of crap. I read a stat recently that Chinese garment workers average eighty cents an hour- I wonder what Chinese instrument factory workers average?
    It might behoove us all to stop buying Chinese instruments all together (well in fact I never started-Indonesian and south Korean are as low as I go).
    There are human rights issues to consider. I don't really buy into the "Global Free Market Economy" claptrap when you consider a dude is trying to feed a wife and kid on a buck an hour? How is it his "free choice" to take that job when there's no better paying work in the area?
    I do like my Indonesian bass-I sometimes feel guilty for feeding into the slave system tho. Usually I maintain the philosophy of buying less instruments less often at a higher quality which were American built.

14. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I was shocked to see the OP. My Cirrus 5 BXP is one of the best basses I've ever played as far as overall satisfaction. Sure, some basses have better tones, looks, feels, but the BXP encompasses it all. I've been playing it for 5 years ago.

15. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    My Cirrus BXP 5 is just like bassplayer8953's. "Handcrafted in Indonesia" is under the the clear on the back of the headstock. Granted I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" with mine but contsruction, fit and finish, and tone are all really great. This is comparing it to my 2 German made Warwicks.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021