Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus BXP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Dec 24, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys! I am looking for a 5 string (to string E-C) to spend my christmas money on ;) . I went down to axe music up in calgary last weekend (BEST musicstore i have been in by far, service wise (thumbs up to Richie and Tommy, amazing guys! helpful, informative, and actually know wat theyre doing !) and just by what they have !!) and played a couple cirrus bxp basses. Theyre necks felt comfy, but not perfect for me, if that makes sense. but the sound was great and the looks and the weight were all stunning aswell. Lately I have played a Washburn Force 5 bass. It had an amazing neck that just felt so great to me, but the sound wasnt quite bright enough for my liking, and the volume difference betwen the pickups was WAY more then slight.

So now I'm wondering, do you think I will get used to the bxp neck, and it will feel perfect to me, like my 4 string bass necks have?

Also, is there anything I should look out for in a cirrus BXP?

Is there any other basses you'd suggest I look at?

Lastly, how hard do you think it would be to put in an active passive switch in one of these basses? I'm always SOOOOO afraid of my batteries dying.

Thanks guys!

~Justin~

2. I would imagine that if you played the BXP long enough, you would eventually get used to the neck. I had a BXP for about two days but just couldnt get into it. Just didnt feel like much of a bass to me. It also had three cracks in the top at the base of the neck. They are definantely not of the US made Cirrus standard. You should look into some of the Spectors. I tried Warwicks, Ibanezes, and Schecters, but loved the Spector. Schecters are really nice too. IMO, alot of the 5 strings have to be played before buying just because they all feel so different. As far as the active pickups go, I wouldnt be too worried about the battery. The Spector is my first active bass and I was worried as well, but Ive played everyday since August and have had no problems with a dying battery. I think the rule of thumb is, change it every 6 months. But remember, If you active bass is plugged in, it is working, so you have to unplug the bass after every use. I didnt know this before but the fine folks here at Talkbass informed me. Good Luck with your search and Merry Christmas.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

There are always some used U.S. Cirruses on Ebay for a decent price. Another option are the U.S. Millenniums (yes, spelled with two L's and two N's) which pretty much have the same feel as a Cirrus and they have the same exact active EQ as the newer Cirruses plus they can be had for DIRT cheap on Ebay both new and used. A number of us have scored then find them to be incredeble players and an incredible bargain. Some on the board here say they rate right up there with the U.S. Cirrus. Check evil bay and make sure if you do a search on Millennium, you spell it correctly.

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    so you guys would definately pick a usa over a bxp? theres that big of a difference?

I tried a spector before and it just seemed really heavy, and it didnt feel right at all, maby it was just a lemon?

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The BXP is a decent bass and is very playable. The only reason I got rid of mine was to get my Cirrus 5 - which is definitely a better bass. However I found the BXP to an excellent bass compared to many basses in its price range. I posted a review of one in the Reviews section if you want more detail.

6. I own a BXP an love it. I did change the strings to Labella Deap Talking Nylon tape wounds. But it rocks for me. I also own a Washburn force 4. It also has a good sound but I went with the BXP Because of the 35 inch scale being a five string with the low B.

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    well I think I might jsut go with a cirrus bxp, since there isnt that huge of a difference, and since its a great bass as is, if i read you correctly :D Would you suggest a tiger eye or a bubinga topped cirrus bxp?

Also, if I were to put a pre-amp bypass, would the signal still be loud enough or do the pickups need to be coupled with a pre to be loud/strong enough.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well at least do yourself a favor and see if you can get a USA Cirrus or Millennium on Ebay for the same or less cash than the BXP. I've played both U.S. and Peavey's foreign made many times and definatly prefer the U.S. stuff of the overseas. No doubt the U.S. is better and why not get that verse the overseas stuff for the same money???

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    is the millennium the same shape/neck/ anything ? or jsut electronics as the cirrus?

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Neck is a bit different but very comfortable (as long as we are only talking MIA). The eletronics are so close and some prefer the preamp on the Millennium over the Cirrus ones.

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    they only have a 21 fret neck though right? :bawl:

12. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yes. So the question is will you actually use more than that. Personally I don't, even with my 24 fret Cirrus. Perhaps one day, but that is just the way it worked out.

13. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    and these us made millenniums are made much better then the cirrus bxps? Frankly, they dont seem like much compared to the bxps lol. I dont know, I think a new bxp will be fine, infact I knwo it will, because noone in your audience can tell the difference between a SX and a Sadowsky. And it is ok for me, I jsut want what I buy to last. So these problems you have with the cirrus bxp, are they sjut cause they dont sound quite as nice or because they arent built to last?

I will look around for a 5 string US cirrus but I think I may jsut end up with a new bxp, wich isnt such a bad thing I'm sure its right up there in sound and quality still, isnt it?

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What?

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Not sure about your first comment. I liked my BXP a lot - I just traded it for a US Cirrus. Simple as that. If this is about budget then you can't go wrong with any of those choices: BXP, Millennium or Cirrus.

16. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Bass_Drum, I have the Cirrus BXP and the US version. As some have said, the US version is higher quality...graphite reinforced neck, better electronics, etc. I'm traditionally a four string player, but I wanted to mess around with a five string. The Cirrus BXP gave me the best bang for the buck. The G&L Tribute is a nice instrument as well, but the numbers ($) on the Peavey were more advantageous. If you go with a Cirrus BXP, I'd get either the mahogany or 'darkwood' finish...the wings are solid wood (at least on my mahogany version) as opposed to a thin veneer cap over agathis wood for the tiger eye. The tiger eye is considerably lighter, due to the difference in wood density.

Good luck!
    Kim

17. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    After finding a limited number of online reviews for the Cirrus BXP's I took the plunge and picked up a mint like new Tiger eye Cirrus BXP 4 string off Ebay with a form fit case for a very reasonable price compared to new.
    Very impressive tonality and playability for your $$$$.Very light compared to your typical Fender,Ibanez types.I may just have to add a bubinga 5 string !

18. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I have a USA Millennium 4-string; it is my main bass and it is worth checking out.

I also fear my batteries dying so I either put new ones in before a gig or being one of my passive basses along with me. Problem solved.

19. I just purchased my Bubinga topped Cirrus BXP 5 a week ago. I love it. The neck fits my hand like a glove. Thin and fast, just as I like them. The string spacing is slightly tighter than I'm used to, but its fine. I'm adapting to it. The tone is way better than most basses in its price range. It blows my Ibanez BTB away in almost every aspect, in its sound, look, feel, weight, everything. The action is super low and still feels good with very minimal buzz (and mine actually needs a neck adjustment). Easy to tap on as well, from super fast metal guitar tapping to jazz-ambeiance style tapping. Its all good. I think you should check one out, but I will admit, if you have the means of cash, take a step up to the US Cirrus.

20. it's not that it'd be hard to put one in, but i suggest no one try this with their USA or BXP cirrus basses.

the VFL pickups in the BXP and USA cirrus basses are active. they use a battery to power an internal preamp. as a result, there is no way to use them passively. so if you turn off all the active components, you'd have nothing left. this is not a very good thing.

robb.