1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

peavey cirrus experts-what did i just buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narud, Sep 10, 2008.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  2. It comes with a phone cord!!!

Good news is it does not look like an import model (BXP). Most Cirrus's are much prettier in real life than any picture. Even so, I bet some lemon juice on the neck and a little wax on the body will do wonders.

Congrats, that's a good buy at $650.

3. walnut/bubinga...pau ferro fretboard...5 pc wenge neck

i used to have that bass....

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    cool. thanks for the info.

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i made sure to look at all the differences on the website between the imports and the us ones before bidding and i didnt see the graphite overlay on the headstock on any of the imports so i figured i was safe. im not that worried about looks as long as it plays well, because i know ill like the sound.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For $650 shipped you probably got the best deal ever on a US Cirrus.
    And I could be wrong, but that bass looks an awful lot like one a TBer was selling recently.

GREAT SNAG!

7. Yup. That's the wood combo. That one can get a real Ken Smithy tone. I have one as a 4 string.

8. Stee Flo

Stee Flo

Dec 7, 2007
    VA
    Yeah it looks to be the bubinga/walnut cirrus. If your anything like me you are gonna love this bass! Great choice! And 650 for a cirrus is a great deal. I payed just a bit more at 675 for mine. :)

9. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Do they even make oil finished BXPs? I've never seen one.

That's a pretty good deal you got. Prices like that are probably why I can't seem to sell my Walnut topped one. I'll have to take solace in the fact the seller didn't even seem to know what it was made of.

BTW the wood combo will end up looking way better in person.

10. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    awesome bass , awesome price !!! youll love the tones

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Unless there is a flaw that the seller isn't telling you about, you got one heck of a bass at a great price!

12. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    The neck is actually walnut with maple stringers. This bass is just like the one I won on ebay about three years ago for $610 + shipping. If it sounds and plays anything like mine, you are very blessed, my friend!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

13. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Decent price and yes they identified it correctly. I have a 4 string in this config and its great.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, the seller has 100 percent positive feedback. some other basses they sold mentioned they have a resident bass player on staff and they offer a 7 return policy so i figured im pretty safe.

15. Mendry37

Mendry37

Oct 19, 2004
    Albany, New York
    Looks like the Bubinga/Walnut cirrus. Ive had that same combo in a 4 string since '98. Great bass. Great price. Congrats.
    Chad

16. As a recent believer in the whole "Cirrus Basses are a ridiculously good deal" philosophy I would like to congratulate you on your score.

Also, if this bass does not have the new preamp with the sweep-able mids it is a super easy up grade and peavey sells the preamp for like $55 bucks. It's very worth it and it took me about an hour total to get the old preamp out, ream the hole for the new larger stacked mid pot and install the new preamp. The only thing I would suggest is ordering the washer and nut for the mid pot since the old one does not fit and finding a thin enough nut at your local hardware store is difficult.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Yep, this is what I was going to add. Hope you enjoy it. That's a great price for one hell of a bass. My Cirrus 6 has taken over the #1 spot from my Roscoe, Modulus, and Benavente.

18. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Doesn't seem like a super great price, have you seen what they are going for on ebay lately? Way less than they should. It's a buyers market on the 'bay now for Cirrus in my opinion. I was going to sell my maple 4 string, and saw an identical one go for $600 even. After fees and paypal, I'd be taking home $550 if I'm lucky. Not worth it.

Either way, you couldn't get anything even close to that quality from a Guitar Center (new I mean...).

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Cool, no doubt you got a deal then. I payed $950 for mine in perfect condition and feel like I got a great deal.