1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Cirrus five in action

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Murf, May 31, 2007.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys and gals,
    Having owned my custom shop Cirrus for a while now (thanks to TBer Papersen) and gigging with it regularly I find I'm loving it more and more as time goes by, it really is a great instrument and yet dosent seem to get the kudos it deserves...I think its the fact that its a PEAVEY which puts people off ..but seriously these are fantastic instruments and well worth investigating.

Anyway, here are a few clips of the beast in action

www.myspace.com/superstitiontheband

nothing particularly fancy but nice to hear the ole cirrus in a more traditional setting...the setup is peavey custom shop cirrus 5er with tiger eye finish, birdseye maple neck with ebony fingerboard, 12V active pre-amp with sweepable mid control running through an Avalon pre-amp recorded in a shed (with pro-tools) in one take (vocals/harmonies added later...if u listen closely u can hear me shrieking the upper harmony parts...God bless autotune..:D ).

Hope you enjoy..and seriously if your a pro "gigger" check out the Cirrus range..boutique basses at half the price, built like a tank and sound awesome (one annoying though..there's a lot of space in the battery compartment and if your an aggressive player..ie: jumping around a lot the ole batteries tend to work themselves loose..and this is a purely active bass..if the batterries go your screwed..solution, crimp the connectors or pad the battery compartment so they dont come loose...having said that the batteries tend to last a LONG time..I gigged solidly 4 nights a week for 6 months before I had to change 'em).

cheers
    murf

2. Here's a shot from when I briefly filled in with a modern rock band...which has since then broken up. I was using my fretless 5.

IMG_3156.jpg

This is a shot with my brother's old prog metal band. We did one show right off the bat....then nothing for about a year and a half, then broke up. I also had hair back then. :crying:
    Bassman2.jpg

3. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    I feel your pain brother...I parted company with my hair when I was in my early 20s...the solution is shave it down to the bone..chicks love it and people think your "dead hard"..:D

Murf

4. Yup. I shave it now. Here's a recent one of me with a Mouse.

Sam_and_Mouse.jpg

5. Hey Murf, do you know anything about the Cirrus BXP? I'm think I'm going to order one saturday...

6. I think Cirrus' do get plenty of credit around here, pretty much by anyone that's ever played one. I love mine to death, and think a used Cirrus like the one I bought is about the best deal out there for basses...

BTW your cirrus sounds killer in those recordings...

7. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Not Murf, but I have one along with a US Cirrus. The BXP is a heckuva nice bass for the price. It plays very nicely. The neck is a little larger than the US version and it's thicker, front-to-back. Still comfortable (mine's a fiver) for my small (seriously, folks) hands. The pickups are the same, but the electronics aren't. I replaced my BXP preamp with one from a Millenium...it made a huge difference to my ear. The BXP's neck lacks the graphite reinforcement of the US version...but then again, many basses don't have such reinforcement and they do just fine.
    Try to play both either the 'bubinga' or 'tiger eye' version (both have an agathis body with a veneer cap) and the 'darkwood' (it's solid mahogany) version before buying. They are somewhat different animals, and you may find yourself preferring one over the other.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

Kim

8. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Cheers dude, I know the Cirrus's/Cirrii? have a pretty good rep here on TB however they dont seem to have the same kudos say as "bongos", Laklands or MTD's (GREAT basses) but I think the ole Cirrus is a great instrument for those without the budget for the aforementioned instruments and is well worth checking out. As regrads the BXP versions, I've no experience with 'em but I'd imagine it would be like comparing an MIA Fender to a mexican version...(then again I've heard some Mexican Fenders that sounded awesome).

9. NOne of the guitar stores around here have the BXP (they would have to order it for me). I've tried cheapo peavy's (200 dollar ones) and I liked them a lot. I've triend the Grind series...didn't like how they seemed to have no finish at all - felt like i was holding a block of wood from the hardware store. As far as looks go I know I like the natural bubinga top on the BXP. Now I'm debating between the Cirrus BXP and an ESP Viper 404 or Viper 254 - I LOVE the look of the vipers. Too bad the only store around here that sells ESPs is Sam Ash and they don't have a Viper in-store that I've seen. Its hard to make up my mind....especially since I've played neither instrument. :help:

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    +1 I've had 2 Cirri and my both were lovely.
    IMO, along with Lakland Skyline, the best basses under $1000

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021