Peavey Cirrus-good/bad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. from Samsara, Dec 4, 2002.

1. I am going to be buying a Peavey Cirrus very soon. I have been looking at one for about five years and I am getting the 5 string Claro Walnut-Wenge (the very dark one) finally. I would like to know what everyone thinks good and bad on all models. I want to be positive I am getting the right thing and that the neck won't snap off or the bass just falls apart when I get a little ruff with it.

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Bought a Walnut/Bubinga Cirrus 6 on a lark from a guy online 8 months ago (was like new with case for $725). Never intended to use this (or any 6) onstage. It was just for screwing around.

Now its my main bass and has made me sell all my Spectors which I played exclusively for 11 years.

I'm currently watching for a good deal on a used Cirrus 4 (preferably Maple) because the 6 is a little tight for slapping.

I can't explain how happy I am with almost every single aspect of this bass.:D
  3. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I once owned this Cirrus-4. IMO it's the BEST bass in its price range.

- The wood...
    - The neck is fast and responsive.
    - The sound is great.
    - You can always catch a good deal on a used one.
    - The wood...

THE BAD:
    - To upgrade from a cirrus, you're going to have to buy something like the ba$$ on top.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I have only played a walnut/bubinga 4-string.

The bad:
    * Rather serious lack of dynamics (which could be a good thing if you can't control them).
    * Treble can get a bit too bright & clicky if you have a cabinet with a tweeter and don't watch your technique.
    * Not very dig-in friendly.
    * Questionable electronics reliability (one of my VFL pickups give weird scratching noises every now and then, and I know I'm not the only one who's had this problem).

The good:
    * Solid tone with deep and smooth lows, really fills the room (without getting in the way, of course) if you have a good amp.
    * Silky smooth feel. Very fast neck.
    * Nice build quality with very good hardware. Impeccable fretwork.

The Cirrus is IMO more of a "finesse" instrument than a "groove" instrument. That doesn't mean that you can't groove on it (you certainly can), but I think its true strength shows when played in a more sophisticated way.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oysterman, I dig in on my Cirrus, but I had to raise the action a bit to keep the sound from choking.

My Cirrus 6 has the best slap tone of any bass I have ever played. Like Oysterman said, the bass is lacking in dynamics. It has a naturally compressed tone that works well for slap.

It also works well if you like something with a bright, modern tone. It is capable of warmer, old school tones, but if that is the primary sound you are looking for, the Cirrus may not be right for you.

In my originals band, the modern tone is just what I needed to cut through the loud guitars. My Pedulla Rapture J2(Jazz type) did not work for this music, I tended to get buried.

IMHO the Cirrus is one of the best values in the bass world. It is comparable quality wise to basses that cost hundreds more. It is the right bass for me. The playability is amazing, and to my ears the tone is too.

You really need to play one to see if it is right for you.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

are they made in the USA
  7. embellisher

8. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I owned a walnut/bubinga Cirrus 6 for a bit and it was a great bass. Very well made, clear and articulate tone with a great B string and smooth, rounded highs. As another mentioned, it had what might be the best slap tone on the planet. My only gripe with the bass was the area the mid control was voiced in. I had to turn it all the way back all the time to get the tone I wanted to hear from it and it still wasn't quite enough. If I could only have turned it to -1 it would have been right on. I eventually sold it because 6 strings just aren't my thing.
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hi J.

The ONLY thing I dont like about mine is the rubber knobs... However, I plan on trying to find some wooden knobs to replace them with. IMO they're a sturdy extremely well-built instrument.
  10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, this is going to be true on any bass with the same scale length that has the neck and frets set up the same.
  11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've had my maple/alder Cirrus 5 for about 2 1/2 years now, and I have not had one hint of a problem nor any complaints with it. It was my main bass until I got my Quantum 5. JR Brown is right, to upgrade from a Cirrus, you will be spending quite a lot of cash.;)
  12. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've been playing bass for 17+ years and have owned basses from Yamaha, Carvin, Fender, Warwick and Roscoe. I stumbled on Peavey Cirrus basses about 3 years ago and to this day can't believe how good they are. They are the only basses I play anymore. That's just my opinion. However, as some of the others have said, you're going to have to pay probably three times the amount of money to find an instrument that you can actually notice as being built better or sounding better. Again, just my opinion.
    Here's pics of mine (just can't help showing them off).
  13. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida

Boutique quality
    Price (used)
    Punchy sound
    Feels great
    World class B

Bad (loosely used):

Narrow range of dynamics and tone

14. embellisher

As long as we are dragging the pictures out...;)

15. Thanks everybody for the input. I am sure I am going to get it now.

thanks again