Peavey Cirrus losing power...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freddylang, Feb 25, 2003.

1. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I've had a Peavey Cirrus(4) for two years (bought it used) and recently after about 10 minutes of play it is losing it output. The volume fades really quickly too. It goes from normal to about 20% or less in no time at all. I've replaced the batteries but still have the same problem. Could this be a problem with the circuit boards inside? I am not a techie!
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm no techy either but are the batteries discharged/drained when the bass does its power loss thing? NB some tuners have a battery tester built in.
  3. Mine is doing the same thing. I found it's the circut board. When it goes out I give the volume pot a good tap and it comes back, but it comes back distorted sometimes. I am getting the whole circut board replaced this week. My local shop said peavey charges $55 for the board including the pots. So I am doing that and a new barrel jack for good measure. I don't know how much it will be to put in, so I am a little worried.

Good Luck!!;)
  4. If the volume comes back when you rap the volume pot, have you tried giving the pots a good dose of tuner cleaner. May be just gummed up contacts.
  5. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Peavey is pretty good about fixing their products, you might want to check with them about getting it fixed before you pay money for a new circuit board.
  6. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Thanks for the advice. I don't think the volume is gonna come back by tapping the pots but I'll try it. I need to get a post out on Peavey's website too and see what it will cost me if I have to screw with the circuit board. $55 is not too bad. Follow me over to amplification where I have another problem with a Peavey product. (Black Widow 15" cab.) The more stuff you have, the more stuff you have to fix. Life was so simple when I had a 50 Watt Crate and an Ibanez Soundgear! (Still have the Crate though.)