1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Cirrus MFB, MFB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Dec 4, 2017.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I'm already a happy owner of a Peavey Cirrus 5 fretless in walnut. I have now noticed a couple of ads for Cirrus basses with the name extension MFB. Does any of you here at TB what MFB stands for? Are the MFB Cirrus basses built in the US?

Tanks!

/mrbaloo

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    I believe MFB stands for Maple FretBoard. I can't confirm 100%, but I don't believe the newer, overseas made Cirri have maple boards.

If you have any doubt as to where one was made, post it here... it should be fairly simple to say one way or the other.

3. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yes, this means maple fretboard.

4. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Aha, it makes sense: MFB = Maple Fret Board.

Thanks a lot!

5. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    The particular Cirrus I have looked at has both maple body as well as maple fretboard. I also know that it was bought in Miami a couple of years ago. So it must be US made since it is not the BXP version of Cirrus.

6. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Yes, mfb stands for maple fretboard (it could be simple maple or birdseye maple); but without pics is very hard to tell if is a real Usa Cirrus. You can check on the back of both the electronics cover (the internal side); there would be a sticker with a number; if You report that number I can tell You the year of manufacture

7. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    The serial is 51456106 2006 177

I have spoken to the seller. He bought it from a store in Miami in 2006, imported to Sweden. So the 2006 makes sense too.

I'm fairly familiar with the Cirrus family. I have got a fretless one from 2003 and my wife's son got a BXP from 2012.

This maple bass looks very similar to my walnut item and got all the details that make a US Cirrus, in my opinion.

Tanks!

8. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Yes, definitely Usa made (Mississippi plant) in 2006 (probably june); it is the period that signed the transition from "block" Peavey logo to "script" HP logo on the headstock. This one should probably show the HP logo (HP stands for Hartley Peavey, the founder of Peavey). But for further details I need to see pics

9. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    You are probably so right. My own Cirrus from 2003 has got the Peavey logo on the headstock while this 2006 item has got the HP logo as also is seen on the BXP from 2012.

I will show pictures as well when the bass arrives to my home.

Thank you very much for helping identifying the origin of the bass.

/MrBaloo

10. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    A first picture of my two Cirri:

received_1945307709122451.

The right hand bass is the 2003 fretless walnut. And the new 2006 maple bass arrived today. Im very pleased with the new instrument so far.

11. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Genuine Usa Cirrus5 with flamed maple-top; the maple-top with maple fretboard is a rare combination, probably a CustomShop version/choice (John Taylor of Duran Duran owns one like yours but with matching headstock, Hipshot hardware and Milli preamp).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  12. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Thank you for your information. I'm very happy with my new bass. I have also noticed that the maple bass body as well as the neck is thicker than the walnut bass. Very strange since wood density and Young's modulus (modulus of elastiticiy) are almost similar when comparing the two wood types. But the new bass is very very nice even though the thicker geometry. I'm used to play my MM Stingray 4 with thicker body and neck compared with the walnut Cirrus, so i'm familiar with this geometry.

I just had not much chance to play the bass with my amp since the battery connectors failed. So I will replace them tomorrow. But the sound from the short playing with amp before the failure was very good and very similar to my walnut Cirrus (except for the fact that one of the basses are fretless).

13. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Yes, I have not any direct evidence because I own only pre-2004 Cirrus basses but it seems that around 2005/6, when the Peavey CustomShop production was started, the shape of the Cirrus (body and neck) was a little bit changed to thicker/larger

14. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I just remember that the Cirrus BXP has the thicker body but almost the same neck shape as my walnut Cirrus. I also noticed that the BXP string spacing is somewhat narrower than both my two USA Cirri.

15. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Now I have replaced the battery connectors and the bass just sounded great afterwards! :)

I even replaced the original adhesive plasic foil on the outside of the battery compartment cover.