Peavey Cirrus mini-review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Atlanta, May 6, 2004.

1. I've been reading about the Peavey Cirrus basses here on TB and I got a chance to try one today quite by accident.

I was looking for a Fender Geddy Lee or 62 RI when I saw this 4-string Cirrus. Maple body, pau ferro fb. The woodwork was nice, but I wasn't crazy about the pre-amp; but that's just my personal taste. What I WAS impressed with was the fretboard. Straight, fast neck, with nicely dressed frets. The case was nice, too.

The main reason I am posting this thread is to alert any of you Cirrus fanatics: This bass was on Red Tag Clearance, but was brand new without a scratch on it. The reason, they told me, was that it was simply not selling; everybody wants a 5-string. Anyway, these babies list for $1649.99 and the regular price is about $1150, which is 30% off retail. Their clearance price was $799, which is their COST. So, if you want a STEAL on a Peavey Cirrus 4 in mint condition with full warranty, call Ken Stanton Music in Marietta, GA, at 770-427-2491. I dealt with Brad, but anyone in guitars could help's the only Cirrus they had. The only catch is that there is NO RETURN because it is clearance-priced.

Disclaimer: I have no financial stake in this transaction. I'm just alerting the TB community to a good deal.

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Unfortunately, Peavey is still dogged by the rep it got in the 70s and 80s. I'm a Cirrus fanatic, but I, like many others find it hard to pay what a new Cirrus would normaly go for when it's so easy to get a used one so much cheaper because of Peavey's dive-bomb re-sale values. This makes it hard for retailers to carry and sell new Cirri.

I hope it doesn't eventually kill this line.:(

(..and boy, do I wish I had an extra $799 sitting around right now :crying: )
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

Great price. I'd be tempted if it were a different wood combo (sounds like it's the exact configuration I currently own). Someone might benefit from this heads-up - thanks for posting this even if it's not going to be me...

4. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I bought a brand new Cirrus 4 in '99.

I love it! Very easy to play with a good tone palate to choose from. Not sure of the woods used - I bought it based on its playability and the salesman's recommendation.

It's too bad the Peavey name is still held in low esteem by some. The first night I brought my Cirrus to a gig, the guitarist disparagingly remarked:

"You bought a Peavey?"

Of course, that was nearly 5 years ago, but it goes to show that many think poorly of Peavey, which is a shame.

The Cirrus I own kicks butt!
  5. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    A Cirrus is hardly a Peavey,it's a Cirrus. -Luke
  6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yeah, the Cirrus is not like ANY PEAVEY before... It works. It sounds Good, It looks Nice...

All positive's... No Negatives.
  7. oh guy's, shut up:p really depressing, I really want one, but can't afford it (yet). I think I'm first gonna buy a decent amp, and then a cirrus6.
  8. I played a nice Cirrus 5 Claro/walnut at Sam Ash on three separate occassions - these basses are nothing short of excellent! Playability/balance/available tones, they have it all.

I would have bought that particular bass, but just then all the raves about Bongos started. I'm still looking.

Peavey Cirrus - excellent all around. ;)

9. im a peavey convert... the millennium and the g-bass sold me, i thought peavey was crap for the longest time but that simply isnt the case
  10. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Ive played that same Cirrus, and agree with you on pretty much every aspect. The neck was nice and fast, but the preamp was sorta dull. Then again, thats just personal taste. Ill have to catch up with you and stop by again Randy!

edit : speaking of, anyone in the atlanta area, or anywhere in georgia for that matter really should give Mr. Beecham a call. Check his website to see what he has, and i promise you'll want to go up there. Really knows his stuff about basses and has a really nice pallet of boutique basses.

11. Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, I think "dull" is a good description. But maybe the strings were just dead, or perhaps the Hartke rig was different than I'm accustomed to.

Guess what? Just traded for a new Nordie:

You oughta come by and give her a whirl. ;)

12. JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Looks good man, what did you trade for it?

13. PM sent.