1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Cirrus NECK shape ? Tear drop ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mb94952, Jun 13, 2012.

1. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Help !!!
    Newbie here - I don't know anything about building, just playing.

I LOVE the feel of the neck on my Peavey Cirrus collection. I took my Cirrus to Michael Dolan / Bob Groat's shop here in Santa Rosa, CA and even they were super impressed by the neck. They said the shape had a name, but I don't remeber what they called it !

The reason I am asking, is that I am going to get a Garz Custom made for me and I want a Cirrus shape neck. It is ergonomically designed to fit right into the pocket of your hand. There is zero hand fatigue. It is the complete opposite of a Fender neck, which after 15 mins of playing, I feel like I need hand surgery.

I am emailing Rich Lasner now to see if he remembers what it's called, but if anyone can help me in the meantime , that's awesome.

2. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I usually refer neck shapes to letters. From what I remember about my old Peavey it had more of an capital I shape. I remember the back was sanded with almost a sand block it was so flat. It was a sixer though.

3. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Buy a contour gauge, use it to get the shape at a few points along the neck, and trace them onto paper to send to the luthier.

Also be aware that the neck will feel different if it ends up sitting at a different position with respect to your body caused by a different body shape and strap lugs. The same profile, with your hand and wrist at the necessarily different angle, would feel different.

4. mb94952

Thanks guys for the awesome advice. I actually emailed my friend Rich, who designed the Cirrus. I don't know why I didn't think of doing that first. I guess I was "on a mission" ...
    Here's what he sent me -

image012.jpg

He sent me a good explanation and some more illustrations, but this drawing encompasses it pretty well.

He also said :Here are some shots of asymmetrical bass neck shapes. Mostly for basses, the bass side is thicker than the treble side of the neck. I have seen it the other way around, so be careful to check which side of your neck is thicker than the other!

5. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I don't understand -- if your friend designed the cirrus, how could he not know what neck shape you have?

Regardless, giving the shape a name does not tell your custom builder what it's dimensions and contours are. You still need to convey the actual shapes to him if you want to get a duplicate neck. "asymmetrical" is a vague description, not a workable specification.

6. mb94952

As I said, I know how the neck *feels* but I don't know what the shape is called. Just because I know the designer of the Cirrus doesn't make me an expert.

Anyway, I totally appreciate your answers. It looks like I will just have to bite the bullet and send my Cirrus to Mark so he can hold it in his hands.

On the other hand, what if he can make a neck that feels even better than the Cirrus does to me ?

I guess I am just nervous about making such a big decision/investment without knowing what the end result will be. I know his reputation implies that I will be happy, but it looks like in the long run, sending him the bass is my best choice.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    When I recently took my Cirrus to a local tech for a tune up, he commented on the neck shape and said that Ken Smith's usually have an assymetrical neck and the Cirrus might as well.

8. KillwerBee

KillwerBee

May 17, 2014
    New Zealand
    Private
    Anyone knows what frets are used on the peavey cirrus i.e. crown width and height from fingerboard surface.