Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus or Carvin LB70

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elmohoof, Oct 24, 2003.

1. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    I am looking for a "neck thru the body bass" I would love to get a Warwick, but they are alittle pricy for me. The Carvins look really nice and the prices are great. I just saw the Peavey Cirrus in MF and they look nice too I really wanna bass with a maple fingerboard,Carvin offers one, but I don't think Peavey or Warwick or anyone else does either HELP!!

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is no contest IMO. Cirrus all the way. I played a Carvin LB70P awhile ago, sounded/felt like crap.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peavey offers the Cirrus with a maple fingerboard, but I have never seen one in person. You would probably have to order one, which means that the dealer would charge quite a bit more than you would pay for a new one that has been sitting around the store for a few months. And considerably more than you would pay for a used Cirrus.

As far as Carvin goes, they have great fit & finish, but IMHO the electronics are subpar. I've never heard a stock Carvin that sounds as good as a stock Cirrus.

4. That's a darn good price on the Texan Cirrus. They go for well over a grand on ebay (5 strings anyway).

But remember, Carvins generally sell for quite a bit less than a comparable Cirrus on the used market, and you could save yourself enough to put some really good electronics (OBP-3?, U-Retro?) and nice pickups in it.

5. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    IMHO The Peavey will smoke the Carvin :spit:

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've set up a couple of the Carvins (both 5's) and they both sounded & set-up very well. I've setup and played several Cirrus basses (4's and 5's) and they also were very nice. Based on what I've seen, I would say that the overall workmanship on the Carvin was better (also better looking wood grains). The ABM bridge on the Cirrus is much nicer than the Hipshot (Type B?) on the Carvin. The ABM is rattle free and provides string width adjustment. I'm not a big fan of the electronics/PU's in either bass although I prefer the sound of the stock Cirrus over the Carvin. If I had my choice, I would go with a used Carvin because they are typically less expensive on the used market and because there are more OEM choices for upgrading the electronics/PU's.

7. I have a cirrus 5 and love it. I have never played a carvin though so I can't make a good comparison. but I would recomend the cirrus to anyone, it is my main bass now. you could probably find some place locally to try out a cirrus. there might be some used carvins floating around too. you always take a chance when you buy something without playing it or something similar. unless it is an F-bass or something like that.

8. Wow! :eek: I adore my LB70, but I do recall trying out a Cirrus when I was shopping for my first "real" bass, and I think I left a little piece of my heart in the store that day...it was just a bit out of my price range, so I took a chance on Carvin (deciding against a Warwick Corvette). I certainly don't regret buying the LB70, but let's just say that if I'd known of a Cirrus for 600 bucks back then, there's no way in hell I'd have a Carvin now! :eek:

9. I've never played a Carvin though the pix I've seen of them look nice. Peavey Cirrus!!!!! I have played one of these!!!! A local shop... I won't say where, has a six string Cirrus for about $1300. Owning this bass has become an obsession sp? GAS GAS GAS!!!! If a better bass has ever been made on this planet, it must be supernatural...

10. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    Check out the soundclips in the Carvin Jamroom on their site. I am very happy with my two Carvin basses, and I place them happily beside my Zon, Alembic, and various other basses. I don't know of any other company who can offer you what Carvin does in their price range. You could even buy a new Carvin, swap out the electronics, and still pay less than you would for a new Cirrus.

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Right on. JOME, you mentioned woods...There is a beautiful XB75 in the new catalog. Has anyone noticed it? It's got a figured Claro Walnut top with a birdseye maple fretboard :cool:

....Back to the discussion, I think you can get lower action with the Cirrus if that is important to you. Good luck!