Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

peavey cirrus or warwick thumb?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peccavi, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i am going to purchase a 6 string next month and can't choose between a used 97 warwick thumb or a brand new bubinga peavey cirrus. now i play death metal but i am going to probably be going to music school next year and need a good bass i can play different styles with, but i am also really into blues and slap bass. any suggestions would help. i have $1700 so any other ideas are welcome aswell.

thanks,
    MO

2. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    I would get the Cirrus, much more versatile. I love the way they play compared to the Warwick too.

3. Cirrus is a killer bass. It will be great for jazz in music school, as well as in your death metal band. I would take the cirrus over the thumb any day.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't know if you have played both but the cirrus is much more comfortable. I have a hard time with thumbs. Both will sound good though. Cirrus is a good choice for death metal actually.

5. i work for peavey, so if this sounds one-sided, it probably is.

eVil J with OTEP is a cirrus endorser. check out this write-up at the peavey site. though he is a metaller, he went to berklee is very schooled in music.

robb.

6. d_money

d_money

Jun 13, 2004
    I would also vote for the Cirrus however I talked to someone who had the bubinga model and he told me that in summer time the pores of the wood open up and he said it doesn't sound that great but in winter when the pores close back up it sounds great. The model I would recommend is the claro walnut model.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Cirrus pwns. I played a 5er awhile back, and loved it, I would've bought it on the spot had I the money. And I think it'd be prettttty good for what you need. Of course, IMO.

Ray

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'd go with the thumb. I love mine.

9. Go with the Cirrus, it looks better for metal and it doesnt have that messed up Warwick feel. :bag:

10. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Cirrus! I just picked one up used last week at a GC. A 6er. It played and sounded WAY better than I expected. I couldn't beleive how perfect the action was. I was a total non-believer too. I did want a Thumb at one point....until I played one. :spit:

11. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    Cirrus With Bubinga. I play all kinds of music. It is the most versatile Bass I have ever played.

I love mine. I dont see myself ever getting rid of it. It has a home forever at my house. If I wear it out or break it. I will get it repaired. The only other Bass I will buy is another Cirrus.

12. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Cirrus.

13. own a BO and own a Peacock Blue Cirrus

let us just put it this way...

I am looking to trade my Thumb.

14. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    yeah i think i am now leaning more towards the cirrus. but now i am drawn between bubinga or claro walnut. claro walnut being $160 more but not a problem at all. i love new gear but i hate all of the deciding there is before you buy it, took me a year to decide to go with eden bass amps. but i love them.

thanks guys,
    MO

15. Hmmmm both basses look very kool indeed. I don't know how cirruses play, but from what i've heard they're incredible, but so are warwicks. I'd say thumb, cuz it groooooooooooowls!

16. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
    If you're going to be taking it to music school go with the cirrus. When you sit with the thumb the short horns cause a neck dive and its hard to find a comfortable place for the lower horn. I stopped taking my thumb to my lessons because I couldn't get into a good playing position.

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have one of each (6 strings) and would recommend the Cirrus. The Thumb is an excellent bass no doubt but IME the Cirrus edges it out in playability and versatility.

18. Cirrus

qdog likes this.
  19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've played a few Cirrus 6'ers, and I'm on a manhunt for a good used one now. The Warwicks I've played were very nice (never tried a 6 though), but Cirruses are very versatile and have great sound, IMO. Go Peavey.

20. Personally i would go with the Cirrus as well. Excellent basses IMO and besides...Thumbs dont do anything for me.