Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus ping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Apr 10, 2004.

1. I have a Peavey Cirrus with bubinga body and a maple neck. It is very trebly,it is very bright. I have had it about a month. Does anyone else have a bass like this and how did you solve this problem?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Change to different strings, cut treble, eq differently, etc.

Did it just begin, or was it like that when you bought it?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you mean that you have a maple fingerboard? You might try some nickel strings, those should warm it up. And cut the treble, if you need to.

4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    What is your EQ (on the bass and your head) set to?

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hope you're right. I sure don't want someone *else* showing up with the first custom Cirrus!!! ;) (any day now, any day!!!)

msangster - "pingy" is an excellent description. I have never played that wood combo, but Cirri can be pingy sounding... and that's my only complaint about 'em. The string change suggestions I agree with (I run DR Fatbeams on mine). IME, the onboard pre is not going to help you remove this quality without taking desirable frequencies with it. Best approach I've found is to move my right hand attack towards the neck when I notice this quality asserting itself.

Right now I'm also experimenting with some very targeted compression (fast attack, fast release) that I'm thinking will be productive in taming that aggressive attack that I believe may be a big part of the "ping"... I'll PM you if I arrive at anything that I believe is a Cirrus-specific benefit.

:)

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    By the end of the first 24 hours of having this bass, I expect you to post a full review and at least 10 minutes of soundclips, and at least 15 pictures. Or I'm coming to your house.

:D

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I just boost the bass on the Cirrus eq. That gives me the sound I want.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Okay, but our futon is kinda crappy...

:D

I'll get pix up right away but ya might have to give me awhile to throw together some clips!

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Add me to that list !!!
    I was thinking about that bass yesterday.

OTOH, I won´t go to your house, 10.000 km. made me think it twice.

10. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I have a bass like yours and I like it's trebly bright tone...well put some nickel strings (already suggested) and/or just cut the treble on your bass/amp.