Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus Players : Help please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lopsy_lu, Oct 29, 2005.

1. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    I'm seriously considering getting a Peavey Cirrus BXP 4 String. probably something like this one,

[​IMG]

but naturally have a few questions about them :

• How thick is the neck? in comparison to a Fender Jazz or Ibanez Soundgear for example?
    • How is the neck finished? I read it was "oil finished", does that mean non-gloss?
    • Whats it like as far as variety of tone?
    • I'd just be grateful for any opinions on the instrument really

Many thanks for helping make up my mind... :)

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've never had one of the BXP's in my hands, so I can't tell you anything about them that their specs don't. I know there are a few on this board who have checked out the BXPs and I think one or 2 that have bought them, so you should have some folks with more knowlege than I have chime in soon.

3. The bxp neck is a little thicker than the custom shop cirrus but not as thick as a frnder Jazz or P neck. It is a bolt on neck not a neck through body but the electronics are very quiet like the custom shop model. I am not sure if the same are used or not but it does sound good. YMMV :bassist:

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    These are the specs from the Peavey site:

# 35 inch scale
    # Neck-through-body
    # 2 VFL™ active pickups
    # Active 3-band EQ with +/- 10 dB boost/cut
    # Gold hardware
    # String-through-finger style bridge
    # Pau Ferro fretboard
    # Dual expanding truss rod
    # Polyester clear on painted models

Having owned one I can tell you they sound great, are very light and extremely playable. The neck is flatter than a Jazz and is very fast.

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I'll chime in here, owning a US Cirrus and having played the BXP version. As noted, the neck is as thin, top to bottom, as a Jazz neck, but is thinner front to back. A very comfortable neck. I didn't notice much difference between the neck on my US model and the import. While the US models have an oil-finished neck, the body and neck on the BXP are done in satin polyurethane...it feels fine, and if it is as durable as the satin finish on my early Foundation, it will last forever. Tonality is very good...similar to the US model. The pickups are the same, but the electronics are different...the US models have a printed circuit board with all of the controls mounted to it. The BXP uses standard pots and is point-to-point wired to the preamp, which is a rectangular block potted in epoxy and 'loose' in the cavity. The BXP uses a standard 1/4 inch jack mounted to a jack plate, where the US models use a 'deep panel' jack. The active three band eq is very effective and approaches that of the US model. I have been able to set and forget my amp at a gig and control all of my tone from the bass itself. To say that you can "dial in a P-bass, Rick, MM etc. sound is stretching things a bit. It depends on how much you want to experiment and how close is close enough. Personally, I really like the sound of the Cirrus series and I take it from there.

Comparing the Cirrus BXP to the US Cirrus is a lot like comparing the G&L Tribute series to their US counterparts...the imported versions are very, very close in both sound and playability to their US counterparts. They use the same pickups. Hardware is functional, but not "name brand".

I have a 5 string Cirrus BXP on order.

Kim

6. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    Thanks very much for all the replies !

Looks like I'm gonna order one ASAP :bassist:

thanks again :D

7. I have been playing a Cirrus BXP 5 for a fue weeks and love the action. I did have to set the strings a little higher as I was getting some fret slap as I play harder than some. The sound is awesome and the neck is fast. I play thru a Peavey
    TNT 115 with a Black widow 15 with some mikeing thru a 2800 watt PA and you can feel it thru the dance floor.
    The only dislike I have is it is hard on batteries or I have got some bad batteries. Maybe some one can shed some light on the poor batterie life I am getting .
    Winky B. :bassist:

8. here are a couple of reviews for my BXP. it's a manufacturer's sample, which comes with some caveats. first, it wasn't a typical production run, but rather a "please make us your suplpier" sample. second, i don't know if peavey is actually using the manufacturer that made my sample.

that said, here's what i love about my BXP (and now that i no longer work for peavey, i don't have to worry about my opinion being biased toward my employer):

and another...

a postscript on the strings. i enjoyed the slowounds well enough, but i've put on a set of black beauties (which are roundcore). i haven't yet had a chance to play through my rig, though, so we'll have to wait until i move into my new house to give a full report of the mating.

i'm still a big fan of my cirrus BXP. between it and my warwick quadruplet, i have a versatile gig machine.

robb.

9. The only dislike I have is it is hard on batteries or I have got some bad batteries. Winky B. :bassist:[/QUOTE]

I think I just got some bad Batteries. Seems to be fine now. :hyper: :bassist:
    Wink

10. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Wink,
    I ran through the first few sets of batteries pretty quickly on my Millennium until I learned that you have to remember to unplug the cord from the bass when you are not playing. Anytime a cord is plugged into the bass, the batteries are being drained even if you are not plugged into an amp.

11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Wink,

Dangnewt is right. Also active electronics can be hard on batteries if you are using extreme settings (everything turned up full). However there is something to be said about defective batteries. I recently blew through a bunch of Duracell's that were bad. Expensive little touch that was.

12. You are right I did that. My other bass and some guitars are active so I have done that a fue times but now I think I just got some bad batteries. The set that came with it died after about 10 hours and then the next set only one died in a very short time. The Surris takes two nine volts. But now set # 3 a set of them pink bunny batteries :hyper: seem to be lasting OK. I am sure glad as I love the sound of the bass. But the electric bill was getting high not to count dieing in the middle of a gig twice. But now six gigs latter after the last set and still reading over nine volts.

13. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I guess we all have. I figure it is some sort of conspiracy between the bass and battery manufacturers. The battery folks have a similiar deal going with the car manufacturers.

14. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    thanx lots of good info here, income tax time, I have no deductions, so it's in my price range, maybe enough for a HSC, already have a spare gig nag, but its a weak one

15. Ty_Boogie

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    Well the BXP is a dead issue for now, everytime I want something, something in the house brakes........boiler needed some service:bawl:

maybe a fender standard jazz? never had a neck thur, or active bass

16. I personally say wait and save up a bit of cash for the BXP. I don't own mine yet, I'm getting up the cash for it now (I thought about selling my BTB 4, but thought better of it:D ). They are great sounding instruments, well built, and they feel great. All in a great price range. MIM Fender Jazz has nothing on Cirrus BXP

17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I was going to say the same thing. Excellent advise.

18. if it helps at all, i'm never, ever selling mine.

robb.

19. Ty_Boogie

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    I know, save. it's hard.
    just me and my son, he needs to get a liitle part time job, after school.