Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus price check.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Pitiful, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    There has been this Tigerseye Cirrus 4 string in the store for about a year now I would guess, I have never played it because ..well.. Im not a peavey fan, let alone a Peavey fan for a very spendy price tag. But...I played it today and ....OH MAN!!!!! This thing really had PUNCH. The sales man told me it had a 18 volt active pickup system instead of the traditional 9 volt. I plugged in a couple other basses including a Warwick, and with the volume set the same on the amp, I could hardly even hear the Warwick. I kid you not the Cirrus was about 5 times louder and punchier. I had to have it, but the price tag was SALE priced at over $2000.00. is that about right? I will have to sell a kidney to get it(not mine) but oh man. Maybe I can find my wife a second, third or fourth job j/k. I wish I could put those pickups in my Yamaha.

Thanks.

Mr. Pitiful

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    That's way to high for a Cirrus, even the Tiger's Eye model. I wouldn't pay more than 1200-1400 for one. Hope that helps.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The current list price for a Cirrus 4 with the tiger-eye finish is $2,499.99 so $2000.00 would be about 20% off the list price. Isn't that what most dealers typically discount on products from other manufacturers?

4. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    There's a dealer right by my house who has them tagged at 1800 and probobly would let it go for 1600. I think you could probobly find one on ebay new for about a 1000.

5. check www.thebassplace.com

I live near the store and picked up a sweeet wenge/walnut fretless 5 with case for $995 + tax. They have other Cirrus at that price, but no Tiger Eye. It might be a worthy thing to look into if you wanna Cirrus but are on a budget.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    $1800.00 for the tiger-eye Cirrus 4? Where's that store? If they might let one go for $1600.00 new I might be interested. Please, send me that info! ;) Still, 20% off list is a very common practice. Wouldn't you agree? As for finding a new one on eBay for $1000.00, anything is possible. I think that you'll find the opportunity to get a new one like the model that he was looking at a little more difficult at that price than the versions without the tiger-eye finish.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
  8. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Actually the bass that was tagged was not a Tiger Eye. It was a Bubinga topped one. I wasn't aware that there was much of a difference in price between the normal Cirrus basses and the Tiger Eye. As for ebay, they are there, and for a pretty good price. I actually think that you can do better than 20% of list too, but that's just my opinion.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Yeah, that tiger-eye is pricey! I know that it's possible to get one for better than 20% off. I was simply saying that most dealers seem to set their prices in that area. That's all. I have a friend that got a new maple/alder 5 with the peacock blue finish for $800.00 plus shipping off eBay. The deals are there but seldom if ever do you see that tiger-eye go for that low. BTW, I got more than 20% off my bubinga/walnut 5. ;)

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The tigereye is the flagship of the Cirrus line. It has quite a few differences from the other Cirrus finishes/woods.

Hipshot UltraLight tuners - Cirrus has decent tuners but not this quality.
    3 band preamp with adjustable mids - Cirrus has a three band, no mid sweep.
    Ebony fingerboard - Cirrus has pau ferro or optional maple. But I have never seen a maple board in person.
    Hand turned walnut knobs - Cirrus has those rubbery plastiuc knobs.
    Walnut truss rod cover and back plates - Cirrus has plastic.
    Hipshot style A bridge - Cirrus has an ABM bridge. This is a toss up. Both are top of the line bridges.
    Quilt maple/alder - Cirrus has a lot of wood options. Quilt maple is available, but I have had quotes ranging from $250 - $600 extra for quilt. No two dealers agree on the quotes that I get.
    Birdseye maple/purpleheart neck - Cirrus has maple/purpleheart.

Those are the reasons that the tigereye lists for ~$800 more than the other Cirrus models.

Is it worth it? only you can answer that question.

Let me help.:D

[​IMG]

11. I'm pretty sure 30% off list is the norm. At least around here.

12. jaco1pas

jaco1pas

Feb 1, 2003
    sact. ca.
    yeah i own a cirrus with a maple top. very sweet bass! i put it against a pedulla and it came close to keeping up! but for the $$$$$ **** it smoked the pedulla. you wanna hear something even funnier? i bought a peavey neck through made of koa with bart p\u's and it's getting close to one of the best basses i've ever played!!!! an easy second for warwick, would keep up with pedulla,alembic. spector, or any other fancy custom bass. and i paid less then $250! now ain't that a bit..

13. jaco1pas

jaco1pas

Feb 1, 2003
    sact. ca.
    yeah bro , that's the best looking cirrus i've ever seen!

14. jaco1pas

jaco1pas

Feb 1, 2003
    sact. ca.
    i bought my cirrus for $900 , i've seen the same piece for $1500

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I bought a brand new walnut Cirrus 6 for $950 last summer, HSC included. I've since sold it.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't know that 30% is the norm but I do feel that 30% off is easily obtainable on a Cirrus deal. When I say 20%, I mean the price that most dealer have listed as the sale price. I'm not talking about what deal you can work yourself into.

17. I was just at the Bass Place today.
    Only 3 Cirri left, all 4 srtings, 1 is fretless, one has a maple board. All play killer & they are asking $995 with harshell case. Management reports that the Peavey name itself is the biggest stigma to these basses that are otherwise pretty darned amazing for the price. I can't wait to try the new Cirrus bolt-on bubinga top that is being offered new this year witha a 34" scale.

18. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    Cirrus *4* Price Check:

Current US list prices: from $1650 to $1750 (for the Redwood) to $2500 (for the Tiger Eye)

Current US street prices: $1320 to $1400 (for the Redwood) to $2000 (for the Tiger Eye)

Fretless: No cost option.

Unless Peavey prohibits their US dealers from further discounting, it would not be unusual to expect at least a 10% in store discount on such basses…unless you’re going to use store credit terms.

I just bought one (NOS 1999 wenge/walnut FL 4: pale walnut with a plain dark chocolate wenge top) down under for US$711 (would have been US$695 if I hadn't put it on my account). Best bass I've tried! I’m really enjoying its power and piano-like clarity.

Personally, I prefer the aesthetics of the much more subtle wood combos, and the wenge/walnut seems tonally (and visually) perfect for fretless. In a fretted, I’d probably go for either the bubinga or redwood.

I’m so impressed with this bass that I’m seriously thinking about getting one of the new fretted bubinga bolt-on 4’s. And, I’m a die-hard Fenderphile.

19. jaco1pas

jaco1pas

Feb 1, 2003
    sact. ca.
    the days of finding the cirrus for around $1000 are coming to a close. they're gonna appreciate towards $1400 and rightfully so. they keep up with basses that cost much more. one of the best buys in the last yr.
    i feel that peavey bass instruments have climbed out of the beater range into and beyound the med. price bass. i've just bought a used peavey,that through trade, has cost me about $250. made of koa, neck through construction, 3 band (bartilini) eq. i'm thinking of trying to upgrade it's actives using aguilar products. hard to say what's gonna come of this piece, but for the $$ who cares!

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Do yourself a favor. Go back, and try the same basses again. This time, adjust the volume. Passing over a bass because it isn't as loud as another one is pretty stupid - turn up the amp - and it won't sound as good at low volume either, so you could be fooling yourself.