Peavey Cirrus Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I have a Cirrus five and in the past I had a Cirrus 6 and I loved them both. I am satisfied with the sound but I was curious if anyone has put in any other pickups and if so what kind and how did they sound?
  2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I use a Peavey Cirrus 6 and From what I heard modifing the bass is Near impossible... I heard that all other pickups sound really bad in them... Really Flat.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have read of one or two guys that modified them. Brad Johnson I think told about one guy who changed out the pickups and preamp, and didn't like the results.
  4. +1 !!!

I think the tones you can get out of a Cirrus are pretty close to un-improveable. (is that a word?)

What a bass! :bassist:

Mike :)
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
  6. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I agree, I have no intention of messing mine up :) . I just got curious because we have had a lot of show me your Cirrus threads and I have never seen a Cirrus with aftermarket pickups.
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, reading in this thread about folks who've tried it and didn't like it removes the small temptation I've had to do it... ;)
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, who knows, maybe I'll try one day. If I do, you can count on me to post my impressions here. :)
  9. I read the review of the Villex pickups, but one thing I disagree with is the statement about the Cirrus' pickups not having a strong fundamental. I'm not just saying this because I just bought a Cirrus, but because I feel the tone these pups put out would please almost anyone. To me they seem to straddle the line between old school warmth and modern pup clarity. You can accentuate either by tone settings and playing style.

I also think that with the neck pup soloed, the Cirrus puts out a pretty good P-bass tone. I'm talking about thump. Not exactly, but a reasonably close P-bass tone with the bass' own character added in.

Any other Cirrus owners agree/disagree?

Now I'm curious.

Here's the Villex site:

10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002

I really like those VFL pickups. High output, very sensitive, no hiss or hum, quiet for recording.
    I agree that soloing the neck pickup gives a good, thick
    Pbass sound. It`s a not a P bass per se, but comes quite close to it.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree too. I get a great quasi-P thump from my Cirrus if I solo the neck pickup.

But I do get some hum. I wonder if something is wrong with it?
  12. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Heehee - seeing as how I did lots of legwork and negotiation to get a custom Cirrus built and waited months past missed deadlines before pulling out, I'd *hope* my affection for this bass is beyond question... ;)

That said, my take is basically this: My Cirrus plays and feels about as well as any instrument I've ever held at any price, but I am not quite satisfied with the sound. Maybe another wood combo would do it for me, but with my derailed custom order I may never find out.

Don't get me wrong - my Cirrus sounds *great* - but it isn't quite the tone in my head. And... I hate to say it, but the onboard EQ didn't really help me get closer to that sound... the EQ on my MTD is *much* better - though at three times the cost, that's not a fair comparison - and the playability is great but not substantially better than the Cirrus, so is it three times the bass overall? Certainly not. And to be sure, there are things I play on my Cirrus that just won't sound right on the MTD.

MTD has one signature pickup/preamp configuration, and that signature sound just so happened to appeal to me, but other luthiers offer different options... If Peavey offered different preamp and pup options, and maybe different pickup placement points, I might wind up owning a half dozen of 'em!

Anyway, it's really hard to say what the possibilities allowed by the physics of the Cirrus body/neck design might be, with only one pickup/preamp option (sweepable mid option notwithstanding) available for reference.

Suffice it to say that if I could get a sound similar to an MTD or say an Aero-equipped Fodera, at 1/3 the price in an instrument that also played as well, I'd laugh at the very idea of buying any other bass!

Just an opinion - but that's what was being solicited, so there ya go!

13. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I agree with you guys. I have asked my bandmates (all tonefreaks) if they agreed with the solo neck pup sounding like a p and they agreed. Pretty versatile pups. I played a $4800 Ken Smith last weekend and while it was a very nice bass, I didn't see the money difference between my Cirrus or my Euro Spector for that matter.