Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funktastic, May 30, 2005.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    From all the things i have read, and the price on these bad boys, i would figure these were good basses. I own a Peavey Grind 4 right now and its not all that bad so i do enjoy the companys product. I recently graduated and my parents want to get me a bass for graduating, so would the Cirrus be a pretty good choice of basses?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    In a word - YES!

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    definetly YES :bassist: maybe i get mine soon

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Definately. I just got a redwood topped one and it's great. It's very versatile, even with just a slight bump of a knob. Construction on it is pretty top notch, although I did get a bad one (bad frets), which I returned. The new one I now have has great frets, so it's all good. The only flaw I found was a slight black mark on the lower horn, which looks to be under the clear coat, which could just be a wood flaw.

5. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    The first one I tried had a redwood top and - I believe - and alder body. It was one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard. The ones I've played with the darker woods did not impress me quite as much, but that may have been the amps I was playing them through. I was a four-string-only player at the time shopping for my first fiver. The redwood Cirrus was a six, so it was not at all what I was looking for in that respect. But it did impress me with what they could do.

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    great basses. no weak points at all, IMO.

7. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    DO IT !!

Believe me that you won`t be dissapointed. It`s a great
    bass.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I have only tried the bubinga/walnut and the redwood/alder. Of the two, the bubinga was the one for me. :)

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yep I've got the Bubinga/Walnut?Maple one too. GREAT bass The only negatives I can think of with the Cirrus' is that they are all (as far as I know) 35" scales, even my 4 banger. so if you're not into the long scale your SOL.That CAN be a negative with the D & G strings being a bit tight, but if you adjust your guages you can compensate for it. The only other thing is that EVERYONE I know of who ever tried to replace the Pickups or Preamp felt the replacement was worse than the original, which means if you don't like the sound, don't like the bass. Cirrus' are what they is, like the opposite sex, don't get one planning on changing it.

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own two. A 5 and a 6. Both Maple/Alder models. Both awesome, and those VFL elex are the quietest of any of my basses... even in the worst venues with neon lights, faders, and everything else.

Two words. Buy it.

11. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    Are you guys talking about ones from the custom shop, or the ones factory made?

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love mine. Go for it.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    In my case, "factory", but I've checked out an awesome custom shop 6 and my "factory" 6 stands up to it in every way except appearance. :)

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I found that the 35" scale doesn't bother me, and the Cirrus is the first 35 that I've played. I notice it alittle on some things, but it's nothing that I can't get used to.

One thing I love about the Cirrus is how the neck isn't set deep into the body at all, so upper fretwork is a breeze.

I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but I did have to replace my knobs because the allen head screw rounded out. I went to take them off to adjust them (all the knob heights were different and I'm picky about that :)) and right away it was hard to unscrew them, trying with 3 different allen wrenches of that size. So, I wound up just getting some gold knobs from Carvin and not only do I think they look better, but the phillips head set screw is easier to work with IMO.

15. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I've played a maple fretted 4-string and a walnut fretless 5. Both were great basses. Very high on my GAS list. They play great and have a really nice smooth sound.

16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    The Scale length doesn't bother me either, but I have heard others who have a preference against the 35" and longer scale, so I listed it as a potential negative. I haven't replaced my knobs (yet) but I also haven't tried to remove them. I'm gassing for a nice set of THG or self made wood knobs.

17. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    If you're worried about the 35" scale being a problem you could always do what I did. Take ten year off from playing bass, decide that was dumb but this time decide to play guitar. Muddle around with that for several years spending lots of money on new guits and amps. Finally realize you're a freakin' bass player, register at TB, find a used Cirrus for sale at an insanely cheap price, buy it, play it, love it. Never even dawns on me it's 35" scale.

:)

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Holy crap, what a story... :)

19. the only thing i'd suggest is that the grind NTB is a very dark sounding bass, so you might find the cirrus sound to be brighter than you're used to.

for me, that's a good thing.

robb.

20. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've owned five Cirrus over the years and every single one of them was a fantastic bass! Highly, highly recommended!