Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus strings quality control...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by troll, Dec 10, 2004.

1. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    So I open up a fresh set of strings for the cirrus 4, and get to stringing it... I get to the A, hmmph, seems a little dull and sounds kind of dead upon initial pluck, eh its not tuned up yet, we'll see... pull out the E, uhh, umm, unwrapped taper wound string? *** is this?

So this is the 4th set of Cirrus strings I've had in the last year that has a problem, I can overlook a few 'dead' strings here any there, but an incorrectly packaged string as well as a dead string in one pack?

I have three Cirrus, and I have always strung them with the Cirrus strings as I liked the way it sounded and played, but I think it's time to find something else for them. That's far too many problems in such a short period of time. I'll be sure to write Peavey about my lost faith in their strings. I don't want anything out of it other than to express my concern.

Anyone else had this problem with this or any other brand?

Troll

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Try DR steel lo-riders. I like 'em a lot.

3. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Actually, these are what I ended up going with based on some other threads I read and such... And well, I'm not thrilled.

I used to have sort of an already compressed sort of tone and feel out of the cirrus strings, the DRs are so friggin dynamic, that I'm having odd overtones and having a hard time getting a transparent compression with my old settings that I had before, and the tone across the strings seems a bit inconsistant, especially in the lows. Hell even tuning one string different even a step off seems to drasitcally change the sound, it's quite odd really. eh... I'm a picky bitch.

Troll

4. i like NOS slowounds on my cirrus BXP, but the BXP sounds different than the USA cirrus. by that i mean that, whereas the thermalfused cirrus strings sound great on the fury VI i have in the lab, they sound dark on my BXP.

if you're not down with hi-beams, you may want to try simple d'addario XLs. they're nickel like the thermalfused cirrus strings. i think most cirrus players like to use a brighter string, but since you're not interested in that sort of sound, i think something like XLs would work very well for you.

robb.

5. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Actually, I prefer a bright clean sound, and I always got it, for weeks, with the cirrus trings. The DRs sound kinda flat after 2 weeks already, like most other steel strings I've used over the years... XL's were the next I was going to try.

Troll

6. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    ive got a set of Elixir 5"s on my cirrus 5, and they still sound good after 3 months!!! check them out (Brite sound) :bassist: