Peavey Cirrus Top Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LeonD, Mar 11, 2006.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Does anyone know what type of wood is on the top of this Cirrus? I know the body is alder and the owner is saying that the top is Bubinga. It's not that I'm doubting him but I didn't see that combination on Peavey's web page.

Also, what would be the tone characteristics of this wood combination?

2. afiaowo

Jan 9, 2006
    It appears to be Redwood.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That would be redwood.
  4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Thanks. I'd believe redwood over bubinga. :smug:

What would you say are the tonal characteristics of a bass with an alder body and redwood top?

Possibly entering the Cirrus club soon,
  5. Another vote for it being a Redwood, no doubt in my mind.

If it's anywhere close to the price most used Cirrus' go for, i'd also vote that you don't think twice and buy it.

Join the club.

Do it.

6. Yessiree, that'd be redwood!
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Definitely Redwood. Buy it now. Now! Not ten minutes from now. You will love it. Trust us. now.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Cirrus electronics are 95% of the tone on these basses. Redwood/alder combo should warm up the modern sound a bit.

I have a maple/alder Cirrus, and it has a bit more bite than the redwood/alder versions that I have played. Of course, mine has an ebony board too, and that will add some bite over the standard pau ferro board.

The Cirrus is a great bass, and on the used market, an outstanding value!

An obligatory pic of mine.:rolleyes::p

9. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Thanks for the encouragement.

The only Cirrus I've ever played was for about 10 seconds, 8 years ago. So I've never really played one. I'm being told this bass has some neck wear and minor indentations on the top. Other than that it's in good condition. If I get it, I'll restring it with a high C.

The bass would come as part of a possible trade deal. One deal would be my guitar for the Cirrus plus $800. I'm selling my guitar for $1,500 so that would mean that I'm getting the Cirrus for $700. Which I think is a good deal

The other option is to trade my guitar and a bunch of other things for a Marleaux Consat. Another bass which I've never played but hear that it's good quality.

The choice is up to the other person involved.

Thanks again,
  10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    $700 is a good price for a used Cirrus fiver. Try to check the bass first. You´ll surely won´t regret but gotta be sure it´s exactly what you´re looking for.

I agree with Embellisher about the tone. The Redwood is supposed to tame the highs a little bit, for a more even sounding tone response.

We´ll be waiting for you at the Cirrus club. :smug:
  11. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You always drive that car by my house just to show it off!!;)

You are correct about the tone of the redwood top. I have two 5's, one walnut, and the other redwood. The walnut does have a bit more brightness to it, although the difference is ever so slight. On the other hand, the redwood has a smoother low end and one hell of a midrange bark to it. I really can't say which is my favorite. They each have their own voice but I find them completely interchangable in all the playing situations I am involved in. One discovery I recently came across is the sound of TI super alloys on the redwood. WOW! I just wish they weren't $40 a pop!! Oh and just to keep up with the Jones's (Embellisher)
  12. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Here's a pic of my redwood/alder Cirrus...I love it!

13. jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    Thought I would join the fray . C'mon and join the Cirrus Club .
  14. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Cirrus are the bomb.
  15. embellisher

You know you want a Cirrus!:bassist:

16. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

:eek: The peer pressure is too much. :eek:

I don't know when I've seen a more enthusiastic group of owners. Maybe its to counteract the negative vibe Peavey usually. (Well, I have no problem with Peavey. I've had a couple of Palaedium basses for years and I know their quality.)

Or maybe it's just that great a bass. :)

Well the fat lady hasn't sung yet but it looks like I'll be a Cirrus owner shortly. After talking a bit more it looks like I'll be getting the bass for $600. Hard to pass on that. I figure if I don't bond with the bass, I'll be able to recover that.

It's the redwood / alder bass in my first post. I'll string it E - C and see how she flies.

Thanks again for all your help,
  17. embellisher

$600 is a great deal!:hyper: