1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Cirrus Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wantaprs, Jun 7, 2007.

1. I Have a Peavey Cirrus 4 Walnut/Wenge I would like to upgrade the electronics in and would like to hear of any success stories.

I am considering Bartolini's.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to replace the electronics? The Peavey preamp and VFL pickups are what set the Cirrus apart from every other bass, in my humble opinion. Being the thrilled owner of a recently purchased Cirrus 5 Bubinga/Walnut, the only upgrade that I might consider is the Peavey preamp with the sweepable mid control. I am absolutely stunned at how amazing my Cirrus sounds! If you can, find someone who has replaced the electronics and listen to their Cirrus before replacing yours. As always, whatever "sound" moves you is the bottom line!

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

3. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    No opinions on upgrading your Cirrus, but I'd like to share an experience.

I have a Yamaha TRB5II, and I decided to upgrade the electronics - to Barts and an Aguilar OBP-3. In the end, I found that the Bart-OBP combination sounds marginally better, but not enough better to justify the $450 I spent on the project (actually it was $600, but I fried one preamp by not grounding it right and had to buy another). The OEM electronics were actually pretty decent.

Along the way, I found out that Yamaha makes or commissions every single part on their basses in a way that fits only their design. The pickup routs were a size that nothing immediately fit. The bridge is their own thing. The knobs, even.

This all made the project expensive and frustrating. More so that it would be in upgrading the stuff in some other make that tends to either use industry standard hardware and electronics or that is so ubiquitous that the industry standard stuff is molded in its image (like a Fender).

I wonder if Peavey basses might be similar to Yamahas in this respect.

In any case, best luck.

4. I'll echo the sound is what makes it unique. I was in the process of ordering one with a Bartolini PJ config, but that was more to get a Pedulla tone out of something more comfortable.

One BIG problem with swapping out the pickups is that the Cirrus pickups are pretty darn big.

IDK, with the amount of work you'd put into chaning it up, I'd think you'd be better off selling it and getting exactly what you want.

5. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm starting to think it's best not to change my Cirrus pre-amp too, I was in the process of fitting a Basslines STC-3 circuit but the pots were too big for the holes, so I gave up and refitted the stock pre-amp. (Didn't feel up to drilling it out myself.) Have since listened to a few rehearsals and decided it sounds pretty damn good as it is!

EG

6. jamontap

jamontap Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Cartersville, GA
    i think you made a good choice. the cirrus has a sweet tone all it's own.

7. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The "upgrade" that I have made to mine is to substitute the Peavey Millenium (same as on the Cirrus quilt top) preamp. The only difference is that the midrange control is sweepable (frequency) in addition to boost/cut. A major, major improvement. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing! I have done my US Cirrus, my BXP Cirrus and will be doing my G bass this weekend.

Kim

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have owned two USA Peavey Cirrus 5's, and have been very happy with the electronics in both. I have heard stories of Cirrus basses having the electronics swapped for Bart systems, and the results being less than stellar.

9. Bart pickups are good, but it seem alot of people dont seem too happy with their electronics. I have MTD Saratoga 5 and the bart preamp is not really the best. I think I will change for an Audere eventually.

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Never alter Cirrus electonics unless you do the Millennium upgrade. The stock electronics are better than most aftermarket!

11. evilgus

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Have asked a local Peavey dealer about getting the Millenium pre-amp, will find out the process.

Cheers,

EG

12. Try nordstrand pickups with an aguilar pre, it will knock your socks off!!!!!!!!!!!

13. evilgus

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Give us sound-files man, sound-files! :) I have no doubt it does/would sound good, but it's a lotta money to spend, so need to hear how different the change is. Mine already sounds nice and tight, with a good Alembic-type tone, I just want a bit more clarity and bite. I actually have two Alembic MXY56 pickups sitting around unused, so I'm more likely to fit them with the Basslines pre-amp or go all out for an ACG Filter pre-amp. Would need routing, of course, those MXYs are even longer than the VFLs!

EG

14. evilgus

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    After all that talk of upgrading stuff, I changed strings on my Cirrus and it sounds killer as is. Aside from trialling a few different brands of strings, I'm not gonna touch it. :)

EG

15. Here you go with Nordies through an Aguilar pre, Mesa Walkabout line out to board on " I Will Be the One ". Basement recording mind you.

www.myspace.com/paththe

16. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    How'd the M-Upgrade in the G-Bass turnout? I'm considering this myself. Any hints/tips/tricks/suggestions/horror-stories/tall-tales?

Thanks!

17. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Sweet! I have the TRB4II, that was upgraded with the Bartolini preamp. Here's Quad's listing with Pic's...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371004&highlight=Yamaha+TRB-4II

18. 4to5to6

4to5to6 Bassist Supporting Member

A very old thread, but just for the record...

I just put an Aguilar OBP3 in my Peavey USA Cirrus 5 babinga and it sound sounds a way better than stock. Twice as good. Stock pre was very muddy. Then again something may have been wrong with the stock preamp as I've heard a lot of good things about these. I just got the bass used so wouldn't know.

I had to drill the holes bigger but the stock pre washers would cover these if I wanted to put everything back to stock.

It was a hassle figuring out the volume and tone pot sizes. The stock pots are 10k for the volume and 20k for the blend. I ended up using 25k for the volume and 250k for the blend. I still have a bit of a decrease in volume when the blend is centred so I plan on trying a 500k blend. I started with a 25k blend and it was dead silent in the middle so bumped it up to what I had on hand. Weird configuration but it works.

When I get it perfect I will add a note to this thread.

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    I vote for something being wrong with it. Nothing muddy at all about my stock Cirrus.

Played a Cirrus with the Millennium preamp upgrade. Not a drastic difference, maybe a bit beefier with the knobs all at center. I would consider it a slight improvement on a system that really doesn't need an improvement.

20. 4to5to6

4to5to6 Bassist Supporting Member

Okay! Since there has been so many positive remarks over the stock Peavey Cirrus electronics I went ahead and ordered a new op amp 8-pin chip for mine to see if that is the problem. I love the Aguilar OBP3 in it but if the stock ones are great I will try to stay with them by doing a repair.

I had to order 10 minimum if anyone needs one in the future. There is only one active component on the circuit board that is in a socket so it is easily changed. It is a Texas Instruments TL-E2062CP chip for the record. I would trade one or two depending on the final price for a 500k dual audio taper balance pot once I get them in a week or so.

I would like to hear some more bragging about the Cirrus electonics or opposite stories etc.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021