1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Peavey Cirrus USA 5-String Walnut 1998

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JDA04OSU, Jul 5, 2020.

1. JDA04OSU

JDA04OSU Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Price:
    Strings:
    Peavey Cirrus USA 5-String Bass (1998) - Walnut

Used in very good condition. Typical neck-through construction. Pickups were upgraded to Bartolinis by the previous owner but I do not know if the pre-amp was changed out at that time as well. [EDIT: It is a Bartolini NTMB-918F pre-amp]. Control cavity is pictured. Weight is 9.0 lbs on the bathroom scale. Serial number was checked with Peavey customer service, who confirmed that it was built in their US factory with a completion date of 8/28/1998.

While this bass has mostly been in storage of late, I have just recently plugged it in and all electronics work. It sounds and plays great...quite versatile in terms of tone, and a very comfortable neck. Frets have minimal wear. Brand new Dunlop strings have now been installed.

The body has a few dings, impressions, and assorted blemishes and the finish does show its age in several areas. Doesn't seem to be a natural oil finish, but rather it appears to have a lacquer finish applied (not certain on this, again insights from Peavey experts welcome). Up close, you can see its imperfections, but in photographs and from “across the stage,” this bass maintains a beautiful, classic Cirrus look.

Will ship in its original Peavey hard shell case, which has scuff marks but is in very good condition overall. Latches all work. Green lining is without any significant damage.

I'm asking $825 plus actual shipping in the CONUS only. Will be glad to sell locally in Central Ohio...the only trades I would consider would need to be local as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    JCooper and KeithPas like this.
  2. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    That is not the stock Cirrus preamp (it is an exposed board that fills the cavity). Also, you can see the Bartolini branding sticker, which should have the model of the pre, on the side of the larger black preamp module.

JDA04OSU and dralionux like this.
  3. G RICH 5

G RICH 5

Dec 19, 2006
    Detroit
    If it had the stock pickups and preamp, I'd buy it.

raal likes this.
  4. JDA04OSU

Sep 9, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the info!

5. JDA04OSU

Sep 9, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    @ahadl2500 - It is the NTMB-918F pre-amp. Do you know if the 2 toggle switches would be 10dB boost/cuts for each pickup? Or some sort of frequency selector? I could only find schematics with one toggle for mid frequency.

6. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Hard to say without going over the wiring and/or hearing it in person. Also noting that while I am familiar with the preamps (from playing around at home with wiring/swaps), I am not an expert. More of a DIYer who has read some and practiced a decent amount.

Seems likely that at least one is linked to the second (smaller) module that is in there , which should be one of Bartolini’s mid boost add on modules. Best guesses on switches would be mid boost, mid frequency for preamp, or active/passive (preamp bypass). Most likely combination seems like mid boost on one (linked to mid boost module) and mid frequency on the other (linked to preamp).

7. JDA04OSU

Sep 9, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Right on. I can add that the volume knob is push/pull and seems to be active vs passive, and mid knob is push/pull for frequency sweep. I was thinking the toggles were 10 dB boost/cut switches for each pickup, but I don’t know that for sure. Thanks!

8. hrbassji

hrbassji

Jan 20, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Just looking at the wiring, it looks like the toggle switches are coil taps for each pickup, probably outer coil, parallel, and inner coil.

JDA04OSU likes this.
  9. Tnadu

Tnadu

May 5, 2010
    Louisville, CO
    That does not look like the original oil finish typical of the era. Perhaps it was refinished when the electronics were changed out?

JDA04OSU likes this.
  10. JDA04OSU

Sep 9, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, there’s a lot of history in this bass that is not known to me, but I agree it has the appearance of a refinish.

11. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I've had many NTMB preamps. It's been a while, so I'm rusty but the toggles are for mid frequency 250k/800k and I'm not sure of the other toggle.
    This still sounds just like a Cirrus because of the pickup placement. It has the added bonus of active / passive pull volume and mid sweep. It's a SCREAMING deal for this bass. The pre and pups are $400 alone. You can easily get replacement pups / pre , too.

JDA04OSU likes this.
  12. JDA04OSU

Sep 9, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Appreciate all the feedback. Trying not to make any rash decisions, but I’m starting to get the itch to strip/sand this down and give it a natural oil finish (again?).

This old post really has me tempted to try:
    Peavey Cirrus Refinish Job

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021