1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

peavey cirrus usa or schecter studio elite bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by happychicken, Jan 24, 2012.

1. happychicken

happychicken Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Hi all, I am having a problem deciding between two basses. The first is a Peavey Cirrus USA made bass which is probably 14 years of (1998). It is a neck through bass but i looked into it and people were complaining about it having too much mid-range tone. The other bass i am looking at is a Schecter studio elite bass which is cheaper and made in Korea. I keep hearing great things about these basses but am hesitant due to the price (750). Can anything for that price made in Korea be that good? Maybe it can? I like both of these basses due to the low action and playability but is there anything else out there that would have that type of low action and be better than either of these for 1200 or less. I just play bass for church and would like something to learn how to slap on for fun.

2. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Can you give us an idea of what you mean by "better"? Both of the basses that you've listed are nice basses and are at different ends of the tone spectrum IMHO. Is there some sound that you're looking for in particular because I believe that either would work for your application and I believe that the Cirrus is very well thought of in the gospel world although I don't know if you play gospel in your church.

With a budget of $1200, the door is really wide open unless there is something very specific that you're looking for that exceeds that price. Is there a specific slap tone that you're after?

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I was at a church a couple weeks ago where the bassist was playing a Cirrus and it sounded great.

4. It will depend on what kind of church music you're playing but I've found the Cirrus to be extremely flexible.

Here is a great example of the Cirrus tonal range: Peavey Cirrus 5 For Sale Demo - YouTube

5. happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    I appreciate everyones patience while I am a bass player I am very ignorant on many things. I would define better as the bass with the ability to play hymns/contemperary christian and then switch to slap. I don't know if either of these bases can do this well which is why I am asking you all that would know better than me. Also does the Schecter have "junky" electronics? I had heard that also. I guess I am looking for the better bang for the buck out of these two bases. The peavey is like 1200 and the Schecter 750 before my gc coupon. Thanks for any input and it is appreciated!!

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    1200 is pretty high for a used Cirrus.

7. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I've had them both. Schecter went away. Cirrus has stayed. Not even a remote regret.

You should be able to get a used Cirrus for $1000 or less. Of course, you should be able to get that Schecter for $500 or less. But, as I said, I already voted with my dollars. Cirrus, Cirrus, Cirrus. (okay, I've actually only owned 2 - a 5-string and a 6-string).

8. happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks man that was very helpful. I don't want to hate on Korean made stuff but I had a Korean made Tobias spent 800 bucks for it and in the end I wound up buying the USA made killer b. Now to be fair there was a huge price difference but I don't want to have history repeat itself here too. I don't want to spend money on the Schecter only to be unhappy with it and then go buy the Cirrus anyway.
    What do you think a fair price for a new old stock cirrus would be? How about used?

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I would expect a NOS Cirrus to go for anywhere from $900 - 1200. Used ones tend to go for anywhere from $600'ish to $1000 - 1100. There definitely seem to be some colors/wood combos that fetch higher prices than others.

Also, the price (for me, anyway) would be somewhat dependent on whether it has a Peavey Custom Shop preamp (aka the Millennium preamp). I upgraded all my Peaveys (that would take it) to that preamp. 2 Cirrus, a G-Bass, and a G-V. The preamp and knobs run about $80 from Peavey and then you can either put it in yourself, if you're handy with a soldering iron, or pay a tech for what should be an hour of labor or less to do it for you.

You can tell which preamp a Cirrus has by looking at the Mid EQ knob. If it's 2 stacked knobs, it's the Mill pre. If it's just one knob (like the other 4 knobs on a Cirrus), then it's just the "regular" Cirrus preamp.

10. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm not sure I understand how people can say the Cirrus has too much mids... it's got a 3 band EQ with boost and cut on each band, so I think you can tailor it quite nicely. My prior basses were all passive J types and while the Cirrus doesn't exactly sound like either a J or a P, it can get tones that will sit similarly in the mix as those. Come to think of it, I usually boost my bass and treble slightly and vary my mids (often cut) to get the tone I like, so maybe set flat they're more "middy" than some... but theres a really usable range of tones.

I paid $600 used for a USA Cirrus 5 string (which had a few dings but nothing major) with original Peavey case. The deals are out there even if not super common.... keep hunting.

I've never picked up a Schecter bass, so I can't comment on them, but I don't think problems with "made in Korea" would be due to the location, but rather the specs the mother company gave the factory, and how many corners the factory is being forced to cut by the mother company lowballing what they pay the factory per bass. In any event, I definitely love my Cirrus, and would highly recommend them. Play one to see if it fits your hands well if you haven't yet.

11. Exactly. I played a Made in Korea Tobias. Really bad. My Indonesian Cirrus BXP is close to the USA Cirrus. Very good in absolute terms.

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    No Schecter bass in even remotely in the same league as a US made Cirrus. It's like comparing Kobe beef (Cirrus) to a Slim Jim (Schecter).

"Too much mid range tone"? I never heard that one before. Whomever said that must not understand what those little turny-knobs are on the bottom right side of the body. $1,200 is very very high for a Cirrus. As Stuart V said above, you can buy Cirrus 4's all day long for $600, give or take.

13. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I just picked up a NOS Cirrus for about a grand. It was in mint condition, so for me it was a reasonable price. Had the hang tag, case candy, and the case is also mint. Used would obviously be cheaper than that as others have already noted.

14. jtl1380

jtl1380

Oct 12, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    +1 on the Cirrus. As much as I love the body lines on the Schecters, I could never get over the neck and the weight. I was in a similar situation as the OP a few years ago and I went with the Cirrus BXP over the Schecter Studio Elite (didn't hurt that I got a screaming deal on the Cirrus). I play a lot for church (contemporary rock worship) and I have never had a complaint about too much mid from my Cirrus. When you throw in the fact that you are looking at a USA Cirrus which has a superior neck to even the Cirrus BXP, then the choice to me is made even easier.

Cirrus for the win!

15. happychicken

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks all for clearing up a lot of thongs for me. There is a lot of conflicting info on the Internet so thanks for dispelling rumors. I never looked at parent companies causing Korean made basses to be cheap. I made a mistake the local shop wants 1500 for nos cirrus. Thanks to you guys I will not be paying that or getting a "deal" at 1200. Thanks again for everyones input!

16. Tone is subjective. Can't help you there.

Build quality, Cirrus gets the nod.

Also, there aren't many tones you can't coax from a Cirrus. Pretty versatile electronics array.

17. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Having owned the Schecter and played lots of Cirrus USA models I'd say both basses are fantastic but are totally different in tone and feel. If you're looking for a bass to give you that Ken Smith/MTD type urban gospel vibe then go with the Cirrus. If you want a more CCM rock vibe but also a decent slap bass go with the Schecter.

18. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I have a Cirrus 5 USA model and a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 and have played a Studio Elite a number of times. While the Schecter is a very good buy for the money, it is simply not in the same class as the Cirrus. If you want to save money, get the Schecter. If you want the best bass, get the Cirrus.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

19. Its rumored some bxp are from the same production line as schecter -USA cirrus definitely are not