1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Cirrus USA question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigRedBassPlayer, Jun 4, 2014.

1. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Stupid question. Since both these and the 4s are 35" scale, how far is the reach to the first couple frets? I have short arms, so things like T-Birds give me trouble.

I had a Lakland 55-02, which is the same scale length, and had no problems playing it. However, I had the Nikki Sixx Blackbird and the reach was too far for me. Even though it was only 34". So, I'm wondering what do you guys think would be more comparable to the reach on the Cirrus?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The reach is pretty noticeable, but my bass is so light, the neck is thin, and the action is so unbelievable, that is still the best playing bass I have ever owned.

3. BigRedBassPlayer

Do you think it would really differ from a 5502 that much? Or more like a T-Bird? I'm close to trading my L2K for a Cirrus, and I want to cover my grounds completely.

4. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Owned a Lakland JO5 Skyline a few years ago, and currently own a Cirrus 5 a Millennium 4 (both 35" scale) as well as a Thunderbird. I don't find the reach on the 35" basses anything terribly challenging. The issue with the Thunderbird is not the scale length, but where the strap is located. It shifts the body of the bass just enough to make reaching the first few frets a little tough, even for me, and I have long arms and fingers. If you are comfortable with the Lakland, I'm sure you'll be plenty fine on the Peavey.

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    NicJim nailed it. It's not the scale length. It's the position of the strap buttons relative to the fretboard. Most basses have the upper horn ending around the 12th fret. The Cirrus upper horn is more like the 13th fret. A full fret further away from the nut. So, the reach to the first fret is further, on a Cirrus, than any other bass I have tried. Though, I have not tried a T-bird, so I can't say how they compare.

Look at the strap button on the top horn on the basses you have and on a Cirrus, compared to where the 12th fret is. That will give you an idea of where the bass will hang and how far the reach is to the first fret. That longer reach on my Cirrus is my only complaint about them.

Final note: If you want a 34" scale Cirrus, look for a Cirrus Bolt-on 4-string. I believe the Bolt-on 4-string was 34" and the Bolt-on 5-string and all Neck-thru Cirrus are 35".

6. BigRedBassPlayer

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm really GASing after one. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna find a 35". I hear they are wonderful basses. I played one years ago at a shop, but couldn't remember the reach.

7. BigRedBassPlayer

And as far a the reach, I didn't know about the strap button causing that. I guess I always had it in my mind that it was where they positioned the neck.

8. Big Red while not a Cirrus I've a Grind 35" and it's only recently I found out it's scale was longer.
    Honestly it made that little impact, I've 34",32",30" even a 28" Mikro now the 35" Grind, might just
    be me but I think it's just one of those things bass player say same as " Oh you can't play a Curbow
    seated."

I've been following Dr Cheese's posts since he got the Cirrus and Man is he happy about it, do yourself
    a favour get the Cirrus. The Doc's got me sold on getting one.

9. ChiefHoghead

ChiefHoghead

Jan 20, 2013
    Norway
    +1 NicJim & StuartV
    I had the same feeling with my Thunderbird. The reach to the first frets is not the same as on a Fender since the body on the T-Bird is shifted compared to "a normal" bass, as stated by NicJim. Sold my T and got a Cirrus with no problem reaching the first frets. My first bass was 35" but I did not know until years later:)

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Don't even lump a T-bird into the Cirrus / 55-02 discussion. FWIW, the Peavey and Lakland are two of the more ergonomic 35" fivers. I still have a Mill 5.

Riis

11. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    You would really just have to try it. I do find a bit of awkwardness for the first few seconds, when I switch form my Cirrus to my P-copy with the P feeling too short. The Cirrus is the best bass I have ever played and the neck is simply awesome. I don't think you will go wrong if you find one at a decent price. If you can't ergonomically use it then it should be pretty easy to turn over to someone else. They really should considered sweeping out that corner of the Peavey factory and re-tooling for this bass and make them again. Nothing else out there, for what they were charging, compares.