1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Cirrus V (aka: I didn't need to buy it)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ConspiracyBass, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ConspiracyBass

ConspiracyBass Leo Got It Right.

Jan 22, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So I go into Guitar Center because I wanted to play the Micheal Kelly Hybrid guitars (which are nice BTW). And I left with a used '97 or '98 (not real sure) Peavey Cirrus V. And of course no pictures, no bass.

l_f1747db20b66e9f7cfd8a97e78fc74ef.

l_df437ed9970fc704022d86a0c9b99de1.

l_32eb2c2bfa3043259692ac415d02cc18.

l_fce6a6b984e4f0224a06e38d0e6f1566.

The thing plays awesome and is in really good shape, aside from some light scratches on the body and the top of the headstock. It also needs new foam under the pickups, but thats no big deal.
    So yeah, now I have a 35" scale bass in my arsenal.

[edit: In case anyone wondered, I only payed $530 (before tax). It also came with the original case]

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That sounds like a great deal!!!

I was on the prowl very seriously for another Cirrus 5 in the past couple weeks. I have owned two so far, and have sold/traded them for some stupid reasons. They are excellent basses.

I just recently made a deal to buy my old Modulus Quantum 6 back, though, so the Cirrus is on the back burner again.:meh:

3. ConspiracyBass

Jan 22, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Great deal indeed!

After playing it for awhile, it needs the frets leveled and crowned. No biggie. Thats all of like $50 or $60 bucks at my local shop. Need to replace the batteries as well (YA!!! 18v Pre).

Great, great bass. Not gonna replace my Fenders, but I'm glad I have another Peavey.

4. Coolio. I'm a big fan. It's hard to find many things that play as well. Also hard to find many stock basses that have so many options. For a fretted bass, they're my go to bass, although I'll employ other luthiers for piezo fretli, 7+ strings, etc.

5. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    You made me envious :)

$530 for a peavey USA. That's almost indecent.

6. Sweet! I would have snapped that bass up without a second's hesitation. I agree with the previous post on the price. Nice score.

7. ConspiracyBass

Jan 22, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah, they only wanted $579 to begin with. But hey, $59 is $59, ya know? Oddly enough, they had a used 4 banger sitting across from this one and they wanted $1110 for it. It was a different wood combo, but still. Maybe they thought this one was a BXP?

8. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Usually GC's used prices are on the high side - even at the $579, it would have been a great deal. To get an extra $50 off, is just the icing on the cake. Nicely done!

9. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    Beautiful bass and a sweet deal to boot! congrats :bassist: !

10. After playing yours, I understand why you don't want to part with it!

11. 0utlier

0utlier

Feb 21, 2006
    Hattiesburg, MS
    That's a smokin deal. I love the Cirrus. Got two of em myself. Weird how GC got the pricing so wrong on that bass. They must be slippin'. That bass goes for more than that on the open market (as you know). You were in the right place at the right time. Lucky dog.

12. FPS

FPS

Dec 17, 2006
    Ohio
    Nice find indeed, hopefully I can find a deal like that when I get serious about getting another cirrus. I might be forced into a BXP model unless I can get lucky.

13. ConspiracyBass

Jan 22, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You got that right. I was actually ready to pay the $579 they wanted for it. And thats a still a really good deal, but I figured I'd ask how low he could go. He said $530 and I said, "SOLD!". I kept mentioning the whole time how good a deal that it was for a USA Cirrus. I felt like at anytime they were gonna realize they f-ed up. But nope.

Now the bad boy is getting the frets leveled and polished. New strings too. Can't wait!!! :D

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I hate you.:bawl: Why can't I find these deals?

Congrats. Great bass.

edit... on second thought.... I got my Axcelerator 6 for $400..... I do find these deals occasionally.