Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus V Warwick Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Sep 15, 2005.

1. I see alot of bassist's that use a Warwick thumb especially in the gospel genre, but I am hard pressed to find a major artist that plays a cirrus.

I don't know if this equates to a better bass or not but it makes me wonder that if not alot of people play one bass but do play the other name brand, is this any indication to which bass is better?

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    It could be an indication. But it could also be an indication of which bass is more popular. Or it could be an indication of which company has a more aggressive approach in signing up pros to play their stuff. I like the Cirrus better than the Thumb for two reasons. It's tone is more to my liking (just my opinion) and it's more ergonomic to play. I cannot find a comfortable position - either sitting or standing - to play the Thumb. Neither of those opinions are contingent on what pros play them. I'd say ignore the endorsements and consider what you want.

3. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm pretty sure that Terrance Palmer played a Cirrus on Fred Hammonds "Pages of Life" album (live). I personally love the sound of both the Thumb and the Cirrus but since I play lefty only the Thumb is available to me.

Some day...

-J

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You have to keep in mind that pros endorse equipment for $$$. Same as in sports. Doesn't have any thing to do with quality of the product. I good player can sound good on a variety of equipment. Go with what feels best to you.

5. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    Mike Porcaro from Toto playes the exact same bass I play, a Cirrus Quilt-Top Tiger Eye 5 string.

6. Lalala

Lalala

Sep 15, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Pro's mainly endorse because their manegement tells them to. If their management comes up with an endorsement deal and the artist refuses he might be looking at a fine of about 10% of the amount of $$$ the deal would have brought in for the management company.

7. Dude, serisously, eViL j ot Otep plays one... well, "plays" is an understatement IMO. Look him up, he actually switched over from Lakland 55-94s. I think he's a great metal bassist.

~Ryan

8. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    I'd take a Cirrus over a Thumb.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    One thing to keep in mind regarding pros who are sponsored by a particular brand is that the instruments they play are often "one off" basses made, or even altered to their specs. Although they appear to be stock they often are not, the stock pup covers are often hiding custom wound or even a competitor's stock pup underneath, and that's just the beginning.
    Choosing a particular brand or model because we want to sound like the player(s) who choose to play that particular brand or model is often not wise. So much is said here about how players sound like themselves, regardless of what equipment they use, and it's very true in alot of respects.
    Choose the bass YOU like better, try them out and see.