Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus vs. Ibanez SR3006e

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlavaF, Jan 25, 2005.

Peavey Cirrus or Ibanez SR3006e?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2005.
  1. Peavey Cirrus

74.7%
  2. Ibanez SR3006e

13.9%
  3. other (please elaborate)

11.4%
  1. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Hello bass experts! :D I need some guidance. I'm looking at these 2 basses, they are within $200 US of each other, but the dilemma is I can't play either of them (I have played a Cirrus 4 though, and from what I remember, I liked it quite a bit).

I would like to know the weight of the SR3006e, since I know the Cirrus is 9.5 pounds, which is pretty reasonable. String spacing I think I would give the edge to the Cirrus, whose 17mm spacing is a bit more manageable than the tiny 16.5mm on the SR. The Cirrus is 35' scale I believe, while the SR is 34.

I play rock, metal, blues, that sort of stuff, mostly fingerstyle (this being a 6, I'll stay away from a pick ;)) but I want to learn slapping in the future. I also record a lot, and this bass has to sound good in the studio! My BTB405 sounds like crap when I record with it, so that's part of the reason I'm looking to replace it. Also, I need a fairly versatile bass - both basses have 3 band EQ's, but which bass has more useable tones for my styles and applications?

All things being equal, I'd prefer the lighter bass. So you guys that have played both PLEASE help me out! I'm desparate! :help: I suppose I could also go for a used, light, narrow necked boutique for no less than $1500US, so if you know of one, please post a link!

Finally, since my other bass is an SR500, I'm kinda leaning towards the Cirrus right now just because the 3006 looks VERY similar to my current bass! :D

Thanks in advance.

2. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    Cirrus without any??? :cool:

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Cirrus 6 and a 5 (my second 5... I was an idiot and sold my first 5 and sorely regretted it ever since).

The 6 is an amazing bass. Very light for a 6, but tone for miles and miles, and extremely easy on the hands. Further, the Cirrus preamp is the quietest in the most brutal venues for interference.

I haven't played a 300x, but I've played a 1005e. I really liked it a lot but IMHO, the Cirrus wins hands down.

(shameless plug)
    BTW, make sure you consider this bass, as well. If it's still available and if it's a finish you like, it really doesn't get much better than this, and the deal being offered is unreal for a brand new top of the line...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156541

Even if the above is not for you, I still very strongly recommend the Cirrus.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I haven't played that particular Ibanez, but I have owned a Cirrus 5 and have played a Cirrus 6 a few times, and I would strongly recommend the Cirrus. They are wonderful basses, all the way around.

I WILL own another someday.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have played both (granted at seperate music store visits) . The few of these two basses that I have played almost seemed too light for my preference, so heavy weight isn't a major issue. Both sound great and depending on the setup, play equally great. I really liked the Ibanez because it seemed like the darker of the two basses and I love me a thick, clear tone. The Cirrus sounded great, but a brightness was very present through most settings (often too bright for me, but I'm sure I could tame it down with the right strings and eq/settings). Both are fairly versatile and have great slap tones.

Not to the slight the Cirrus, which is a wonderful bass with many great options for a very reasonable price tag. Which ever you choose, buy used these basses take a major hit on the resale after you purchase them.

Adam.

6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

This may not help, but here goes...I haven't played either in a 6.

However, I used to own an SR 1305 (GORGEOUS birdseye maple!!) and currently own a Cirrus 5 (bubinga/walnut -- thanks Sundogue!). Hands down, no comparison -- get the Peavey! I have small hands, don't slap, and the tight spacing on the SR still doesn't cut it for me for fingerstyle-only. Plus, I like the tone of the Peavey a lot better than the Ibanez. Mids on the SR are just "funky". Peavey sounds tons better to me.

The Peavey is 35" and the Ibanez is 34" IIRC, but I haven't noticed any problems adjusting to it.

For quality, construction, sound, I'd put the Pewavey against anything else in it's price range and a lot that are more expensive. Can't say that about the Ibanez.

Plus, what he said: I'll second the motion on buying these two used. Prepare to take a BIG HIT if you buy new and then sell. Good used are certainly avaialble. Just keep an eye out.

Hope this helps!

dcr

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
  9. bassylynch

bassylynch

Jan 26, 2005
    To be honest i haven't used either models but i think i'd prefer the cirrus because i'm gettin the feeling that the ibanez has too much of a sharp sound
    :ninja: :bassist:

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    So I'd like to clarify the situation: The SR3006e would very likely have to be brand new, but the Cirrus would definitely be used.

11. Ain't nothing wrong with a used Cirrus. ;) (Mine's used, er, ahem - previously owned! :D )

I've never played the Ibanez model you're looking at, but I can't imagine it beating out a Cirrus. I'd say the Cirrus would give a lot of boutique basses a run for their money.

Go Peavey! :cool:

Mike

12. IBANEZ!!!

sorry felt like going against the grain.

get the Cirrus. Owning one, wanting many

13. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    The SR being made from the woods it is made from, has a very distinct tone. Has a sort of Warwick vibe to it, but with more balls. I really like the sound of wenge-necked basses. There is a very good bass player in a funk around where I live who plays the Ibanez in question and it cuts through like a knife without being harsh or drowning the rest of the band. Works VERY well in a funk sitation. It also has a nice feeling neck, but the spacing is SOOOOOOO tight, since I am used to 19mm on all of my basses. Even though it seems that the cirrus is winning I though I would just thrown in some positives about the Ibanez.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another Cirrus vote. And since the Cirrus you are looking at is used, somebody else has already taken the resale hit.

15. Jim Jackson

Jim Jackson

Jun 19, 2004
    since i am an avid anti-ibenez i'll have to go with the cirrus. but that's also because i'm an avid pro-peavy cirrus. anytime i'm picking up strings and see that cirrus 6 i can't help but play it.

16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    OK I'm starting to see a "slight" edge towards the Cirrus! :D

I emailed a local music store if they had any of the Ibanez SR300x models in stock or if they could order some in, but they said the item "wasn't in their database". This, in addition to music123.com not selling it anymore, leads me to believe the SR300x series is being discontinued. Is this true? This is probably a good thing since I could maybe get the Cirrus AND a cheap SR3006, though that makes me want to buy a new SR3006 even less!

Now all that's left is for me to save up some more money. :bassist:

17. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Now that's what I am talking about! When you can't make a decision between 2 things, get both!! You are my hero if you get both.

18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    :spit: :bag:

19. worm

worm

Jan 12, 2005
    Near Toronto
    I started using the Cirrus last year while trying to find the right tone for competing with two guitars in a rock band. I was using my Modulus Q5, Warwick SS2, Spector 5 and still found I was changing up basses a lot to manage with the onstage competition. I tried the Cirrus 5 and was surprised to find it fit in with most everything. Now I am using my Cirrus 6 and 5 almost exclusively. There is still a place for my other instruments but on the whole the Peavey rocks.

Cheers

20. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I still can't imagine playing a 6-sting bass, but what do I know? :confused:

The next axe I'm saving-up for is a 5-string Cirrus. I have on order a Fender Urge Stu Hamm 4-string, and it's on it's way across the pond. I've played around with a few Cirrus-5's at the store, and to me, they are buttery silk in my hands, and I think they are beautiful... the shape, the "Flying V" pointy headstock, and most especially, with a quilt or flame maple top. Out here in the islands I saw one with a Koa wood top. It was stunning... gold hardware... umm-ummm-ummm! It was a little heavy for a Cirrus, because the store ordered it with a mahogany body, but the sustain........ from here to New York City! ;)

I want one, dadgummit... and I'm gonna get one! So I vote Peavey over Ibanez. :cool: