Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus vs. MM Sterling: Which and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Thinker, Sep 14, 2004.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm banging my head against the wall on this one... :help:

After pretty extensive shopping and research, these two are the main contenders for my hard-earned cash.

I've played both basses several times, but have never been able to do a real A/B comparison through the same amp at the same time.

I have a killer Jazz-style bass already, so I don't need to cover "that" sound with one of these. I want something different--more "modern" with enough lows to support the music and enough mids/highs to cut through. Something rich/plenty of overtones.

Both basses seem to fit the bill in the shop. I'm curious as to how well each of these would fit the bill in a LIVE situation.

I play rock, funk, prog, blues, motown. My rig is an old EA iAMP and a SWR Goliath Jr.

Thanks!

2. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Both great basses, you wouldn't go wrong with either.The Cirrus is probably more money.The Cirrus has 18 volt electronics and neck through construction.The Musicman will sound alot more like a suped up version of your jazz and the Cirrus should be more flexable.Tough choice, but a no lose situation.Good for you.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used a Peavey Cirrus 5 (maple/alder) for about 2 years in a live setting. It worked very well--it cut through the mix, without being too "in your face" and had pretty wide variety of tones to work with.

4. the only thing that tipped my decision to a cirrus is that i work for peavey and got an extremely beneficial deal on the manufacturer's sample of the cirrus BXP import bass. i still GAS for a sterling, as well as an ibanez BTB.

robb.

5. Get the Cirrus. More value for money, better playability, more versatile, N/T, 24 frets. I own one, so I should know...

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have a Cirrus (my second) that I love. It is very versatile and my drummer loves it. It does not have the punch of my Euro Spector though, but it is more versatile.

7. Sterling - bolt-on, 22 frets, 34", one nice pickup, 3 band EQ, lots of colors, no tops, smaller body.

Cirrus - neck-thru, 24 frets, 35", two nice pickups, 3 band EQ, lots of tops, few colors, larger body.

I'm not quite into 35" 4-strings, so I think I would go with the Sterling. Also have no issue with bolt-on or neck-thru. My issue is a nice satin or oil back of neck (wood) vs. a finished back of neck (that one kills the Bongo in my mind). A Cirrus neck-thru fits my requirements.

Sorry, never played either at a gig - just GAS'in like you, and played some in different stores, but not at the same time.

Then in walks a Lakland...now I'm completely confused...

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve been in the situation a year ago. I almost bought a Sterling but finally went with the Cirrus. Why?
    Because I preferred it`s overall slap tone, extended range, neck through, playability and top woods.
    I still like Sterling but never thought I made the wrong choice.

9. I'd go with the Cirrus for the versatility alone... Used to have a MM Stingray, and did NOT like it in the context of a band...

10. I had a similar choice to make though I was looking at a Stingray 5 v.s. a Cirrus. I went with the Cirrus. I found it to be the most versitile/playable bass I've ever laid my hands on.
    That said the Sterling may hold its value better and of course they are excellent bass's.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would pick the Cirrus, for flexibility and slap tone. But they are both killer basses.

12. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting. So otherwise you'd have taken the Sterling?

13. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks to all that have replied so far! Very helpful.

14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I own three Sterlings, so I'm biased. For me, there has never been another bass that just "fit" my hands and body like a Sterling. The dimensions are the best. I want to like other basses, I really do.....I just never seem to be able to play out without going right back to the Sterling. I, also, do not dig the altered fundamental of a 35" 4 string.

I think everybody has "their" bass. The one that feels right. These are very different basses. IMHO, one really ought to be able to play both and know very quickly which one is the better match.

15. actually, i would have tried to play one through my rig -- i haven't played a sterling in a year or so, and i got a new amp rig about four months ago.

since the cirrus BXP deal fell in my lap and the bass is incredible, i was able to buy a really nice power amp to complete my rig, instead of buy an expensive bass and keep borrowing an amp from the lab at work.

the short list was an ibanez BTB, a peavey cirrus, and an MM sterling. and i was willing to spend the money on any of them to get exactly what i wanted.

robb.

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Agreed... for me, that bass is the Cirrus. I own 1 1/2 right now and working on getting that up to 2. For me the Cirrus is the clear winner but the Sterling is no slouch, and I wouldn't mind having one one bit. I could understand why this might be a tough choice.

Funny... I just got a call this very morning for a project that I suspect will demand a five string. As I'm without a fiver at the moment I was debating whether to add a third Cirrus or a Stingray 5 if I took the gig.

17. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    both are nice rigs! ive played both! and the cirrus has a big edge on slap tone! and as others stated you can get a wider
    range of tone with the cirrus! but its your choice ,i would get
    the one you like best! take your time!! :bassist:

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Whichever feels more comfortable to you. Are they equally comfortable? Flip a coin.