Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey Cirrus vs. Spector Euro 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maestro7879, Feb 3, 2004.

1. I have been narrowing it down lately on what i'm going to purchase and it's down to the Cirrus and the Euro 4. I play alot of slap bass and have played and liked both but i'm leaning more towards the Euro 4.

2. i think of the cirrus tone as being warm, so if you're going for punchier slap tones, perhaps the spector is your bag. personally, i prefer the cirrus in feel and sound to all the spectors i've played, but i think i've only played cheap ones. i imagine the nice ones deserve all the praise they get.

robb.

3. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    The Spector all the way! The new Euro's with the Spector designed Tone pump Preamp........AMAZING!! :hyper:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Two very nice basses, both of them give you a lot of bang for the buck.

The Spector is very heavy and has a very thick profile neck. The Cirrus is very light and has a wide neck with a very thin profile.

The Spector excels at in your face, modern rock tone. The Cirrus can do the modern rock tone, plus Ken Smith stuff, and warmer old school tones as well.

For me, the Cirrus wins out in playability, light weight, and versatility.

But you can't go wrong with either of them. See which one suits your style and playability preferences.

5. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Although both are good slappers,the Cirrus' neck has more speed IMO for slapping,being thinner. -Luke

6. Will the difference in scale make a difference ( Peavey 35" , Spector 34" ) ? From what I understand the strings will have to be tighter on the peavey.

7. Does the Ibanez BTB1000 fall anywhere near these other basses in playability and quality ?

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Spector all the way. I have a Euro 4 and 5. They are my favorite basses. You can get any sound out of them.

35" scale is going to be a bit tighter, and is really of no benefit unless it's a 5 or more strings. It gives the low B more tension so it's not as flappy. Some people might like it though. But I dont think you will because slappers usually use a lighter guage string, and going 35" will have the opposite effect you want.

Ibanez BTB, isn't even worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Spector.

9. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I vote for the Cirrus. It's light, the neck is thin, and the tone is awesome. It's especially great for slap (and harmonics, for that matter).

I've never played the Spector you're talking about, but I'm in love with my Cirrus, so that's my two cents. :cool:

10. again, i've only played cheaper spectors, but i have always preferred an ibanez in the same price range. it depends upon the spector you're talking about, but $1000 to $1000, the BTB is a very strong option, though i think i'd prefer a cirrus even over the BTB.

robb.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Spector.

Game, set, match.

Embellisher outlined the differences in the basses, and is right. You'll have to try them to really make the call.

To me, the Euro Spectors are every bit the instrument the Cirri are, and more. This is utterly personal, but to me, the Cirrus feel fragile. Like porcelain, if slapped too hard, it would snap in half. But that's just my impressions of them. The Spectors seem rather tank-like, in the best possible way. I'd trust a Spector on the road more than a Cirrus.

Again, just opinionated impressions.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The Cirrus may look fragile, but I don't think it is - remember the graphite reinforcement in the neck. Mine has taken one headstock-first tumble that scared me, but it didn't even knock it out of tune.

I've heard the Ken Smith comparison before. I'm not terribly familiar with Smith basses, but when I wanked out a little test on my new recording software (Apple Garageband) with my Cirrus, the untweaked sound struck me as somewhat Smith-sounding. Short sound clip.

I've not cared for the feel of the Spectors I've played, but they sound plenty good.

13. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    IMO,all in all,these basses are fairly well matched,with some variations of course. I think you should play one of each and just determine which feel you prefer. -Luke

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not IMHO.

15. I have been playing a Ibanez SR406 so i'm used to having something somewhat heavy. I have gotten into playing slap bass alot more so the six has to go. It's really come down to what i'm going to be happy with down the road. I can't figure out what is going to make me happy and want to keep either the cirrus or the euro down the road. Like others have said they are both good basses so i guess that's why i'm struggling with it.. Is there another bass that someone could recommend in that price range that will offer the versatility and neck through ?

16. I'm a cirrus fan, but I love those Euro spectors too. The cirrus really is versatile as Embellisher so eloquently stated. For the money - especially used - I think you could do a lot worse than go Cirrus. I love my 5-er a lot. Very good tone and playability to die for.

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Cirrus bass is warmer but with a lot of punch, albeit warm punch. It's got a lot more character in tone than the Spector does. Besides, the Spector bass weighs a ton and the Cirrus is form fitting and light.

18. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Spector.

For one thing, it's a Spector. I think Peavey, I think of my old Basic 40 I got in grade school. I would never spend $1000 on a Peavey. I can't recall any album a Peavey was played on but I can name hundreds Czechs are.

Good Luck.

19. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I've played a maple 4 string Cirrus and a walnut fretless five 5, both of which I thought were great great basses. The pre-amp was quite flexible. It could get really snappy or really mellow. I dug all the sounds it could do. I havent played a spector yet so I got nothign to say about those.

Travis

20. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    For one thing, it's a Spector. I think Peavey, I think of my old Basic 40 I got in grade school. I would never spend $1000 on a Peavey. I can't recall any album a Peavey was played on but I can name hundreds Czechs are.

Have you played a Cirrus yet? I don't play a bass because it's the world's most popular. I play it because it feels and sounds good!